Are you looking for what to do in Thessaloniki?
PLACES TO SEE
Thessaloniki has some of the most beautiful Monuments in Greece that belong to the Byzantine Era. There are several museums, ruins, areas and places that are sure to be a delight to see. Needless to say, the list of things to see is long. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Aristotelous Square: Aristotelous Square is the central square and perhaps most important meeting place in Thessaloniki. This square by the looks of it might seem quite simple but there is always a lot of activity here that makes it a cultural center of sorts. It is named so after the famous Greek philosopher Aristotle whose statue sits in the square.
- Church of Hagia Sofia: This beautiful, imposing and memorable church in Thessaloniki is perhaps from the 6th or 8th Century. The old and stunning structure is also perhaps one of the oldest buildings to be found in the city as well. This church may not be as famous as its namesake and counterpart in Istanbul but its gigantic beauty surely makes it a lovely tourist attraction.
- Museum of Byzantine Culture: The Museum of Byzantine Culture is a wonderful tribute to the Byzantine Era in Greece’s history. The ancient Greek and the modern Christian come together in the Byzantine tradition which is absolutely fascinating to see.
- The White Tower: The White tower is a lovely buff colored, stalky cylindrical monument that is worth seeing in Thessaloniki. This fort was once used as a strategic vantage point. As a result it has been attacked and damaged several times. The current tower is a replacement for the original one that stood there but still retains its name.
- Old Town, Anopolis: The AnoPoli or old town of Thessaloniki is a fascinating place to visit while in the city. The area was a part of the ancient walled city. The place has survived the great fire and several years and you will be able to find wonderful examples of Ottoman Architecture, Macedonian Monuments and hence many historical sites in this area.
Below we have a list of things to do in Thessaloniki and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Thessaloniki getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Thessaloniki with confidence.