Dochula PassCurrently Open
- Address: 30km from Thimphu, Trashigang-Semtokha Highway, Hungtso, Bhutan
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, View Point, War Memorial
The most well-known pass in Bhutan, Dochula Pass towers at a whopping 10, 000 feet above sea level and offers visitors a postcard-like panoramic view of the Himalayan peaks on clear, winter days. With a great cup of coffee to boot at the open-air restaurant, this pass is a great place to unwind at and very much worth the hairpin turns and adrenaline rushes that one inevitably goes through on the way up.
A mere 30km away from the capital, Thimphu, it is on the way to Punakha, and is a very popular stop-over point for locals and tourists alike. In addition to the breath-taking splendour of the Himalayas, the Druk Wangyal Chortens- the108 Buddhist stupas- built by the eldest Queen Mother, Her Majesty Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuk, give it a profound spiritual context for many.
The 4th King, leading a volunteer army of 7,000, succeeded in warding off Assamese rebels from India and drove them out of the country in 2003. Contrary to popular demand of the structures being built to mark the victory, they were built instead in memory of the deceased soldiers.
Located at the crest of Dochula pass is also the Druk Wangyal Lhakhang temple, built in honour of His Majesty the fourth Druk Gyalpo, Jigme Singye Wangchuck.
Majestic and profound, the Dochula pass offers the beauty of the Himalayan range with a healthy dollop of spirituality and history.
- Make sure you have a reliable and experienced driver as the drive up is quite treacherous and there are large parts of the road under construction.
- You might face some shortage of oxygen because of the high altitude, so those suffering from asthma or respiratory disorders would do well to carry precautionary medical aid.
- Walking around the stupas is a great way to explore Bhutan’s rich culture and stretch out your legs from the long roadtrip.
- Photography enthusiasts – try and get there before sunrise to capture some of the most idyllic beauty nature has to offer.
- A lot of visitors have made plans of going to Dochula pass but have been thrown off track by the fog, which is a perennial occurrence in this area.
- A clear and sunny winter day is a promising one to attempt this trip, if you’re going for the view.
- The Bhutanese Butter Tea at the restaurant is excellent and reinvigorating.
- Open-air restaurant at Dochula
- Karma Coffee
- Zest Bar & Lounge
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Thimphu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Thimphu and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Thimphu include Dochula Pass in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
66.87% of people start their Dochula Pass visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Dochula Pass
93.42% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dochula Pass
It was an amazing experience. We enjoyed a lot. First time we experienced the heavy snow fall. It was around -3°c @1PM. Really really good.
A wonderful place of 108 resting souls of Bhutan army who fought the extremists. This is also a place of three meeting points on the mountain - Nepal on left, north is China and South is India. A good place of scenic beauty. Don't forget to have lunch at the Restaurant close by.
It's a very beautiful place. When we were there we found snow sarrounding place & we all team members were amazed due to that. Everest range can be seen from here if weather is good. Tourist should stay at least one hour here for enjoying the beauty
excellent place and motive behind making this chorten. super duper chilly atmosphere and nice view of the mountains. On a clear sky day , snow clad mountains are visible. Otherwise enjoy foggy weather. Do not forgot to have tea coffee at the nearby restaurant.
Lovely place but the horizon is rarely clear to visualise the Himalayas. A good stop on the way though.