Dochula Pass, ThimphuCurrently Open
- Address: 30km from Thimphu, Trashigang-Semtokha Highway, Hungtso, Bhutan
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, View Point, War Memorial
About Dochula Pass, Thimphu
The most well-known pass in Bhutan, Dochula Pass towers at a whopping 10, 000 feet above sea level and offers visitors a postcard-like panoramic view of the Himalayan peaks on clear, winter days. With a great cup of coffee to boot at the open-air restaurant, this pass is a great place to unwind at and very much worth the hairpin turns and adrenaline rushes that one inevitably goes through on the way up.
A mere 30km away from the capital, Thimphu, it is on the way to Punakha, and is a very popular stop-over point for locals and tourists alike. In addition to the breath-taking splendour of the Himalayas, the Druk Wangyal Chortens- the108 Buddhist stupas- built by the eldest Queen Mother, Her Majesty Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuk, give it a profound spiritual context for many.
The 4th King, leading a volunteer army of 7,000, succeeded in warding off Assamese rebels from India and drove them out of the country in 2003. Contrary to popular demand of the structures being built to mark the victory, they were built instead in memory of the deceased soldiers.
Located at the crest of Dochula pass is also the Druk Wangyal Lhakhang temple, built in honour of His Majesty the fourth Druk Gyalpo, Jigme Singye Wangchuck.
Majestic and profound, the Dochula pass offers the beauty of the Himalayan range with a healthy dollop of spirituality and history.
Dochula Pass Information
- Make sure you have a reliable and experienced driver as the drive up is quite treacherous and there are large parts of the road under construction.
- You might face some shortage of oxygen because of the high altitude, so those suffering from asthma or respiratory disorders would do well to carry precautionary medical aid.
- Walking around the stupas is a great way to explore Bhutan’s rich culture and stretch out your legs from the long roadtrip.
- Photography enthusiasts – try and get there before sunrise to capture some of the most idyllic beauty nature has to offer.
- A lot of visitors have made plans of going to Dochula pass but have been thrown off track by the fog, which is a perennial occurrence in this area.
- A clear and sunny winter day is a promising one to attempt this trip, if you’re going for the view.
- The Bhutanese Butter Tea at the restaurant is excellent and reinvigorating.
Restaurants Near Dochula Pass
- Open-air restaurant at Dochula
- Karma Coffee
- Zest Bar & Lounge
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Thimphu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Thimphu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Dochula Pass
95% of people who visit Thimphu include Dochula Pass in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
73.73% of people start their Dochula Pass visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Dochula Pass
92.01% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Dochula Pass
Dochula Pass, Thimphu Reviews
A must go place for tourists! Highly recommend you to wear warm clothes as it’s pretty chilly! Just took my teacher last time and she loved it! Also, she said it was very very cold haha
Stunning view of the Himalayas. Do visit it from 5am to 5:30am. U get to visualize an amazing sunrise view..too beautiful of a place.
A view point located above 3100 meter on the road from Thimphu to Punakha. Most number of tourists of Bhutan visit this place to enjoy the stunning view of the Himalayan range. On a sunny day with clear sky the view of the mountains is breath taking.This place also has few landmark structures which include 108 stupas and a monastery.
Amazing view and great history. Definitely worth a visit the scenery is breathtaking.
Amazing and surprising entry once you reach via car. Well maintained or preserved. For foreign tourist this is restricted place to visit but you can take permission at Immigiration centre at Thimphu and then visit it. Not very far from Capital city Thimphu. From this place you can view whole Jigme Singe Wangchuk range of Bhutan Himalaya. Via this place you can go for Phunakha Dzong.