Dochula Pass, Thimphu
About Dochula Pass, Thimphu
Dochula Pass, Thimphu - Address
Address: 30km from Thimphu, Trashigang-Semtokha Highway, Hungtso, Bhutan
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 28.6K times in trip plans
Mountain, View Point, War Memorial
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The most well-known pass in Bhutan, Dochula Pass towers at a whopping 10, 000 feet above sea level and offers visitors a postcard-like panoramic view of the Himalayan peaks on clear, winter days. With a great cup of coffee to boot at the open-air restaurant, this pass is a great place to unwind at and very much worth the hairpin turns and adrenaline rushes that one inevitably goes through on the way up.
A mere 30km away from the capital, Thimphu, it is on the way to Punakha, and is a very popular stop-over point for locals and tourists alike. In addition to the breath-taking splendour of the Himalayas, the Druk Wangyal Chortens- the108 Buddhist stupas- built by the eldest Queen Mother, Her Majesty Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuk, give it a profound spiritual context for many.
The 4th King, leading a volunteer army of 7,000, succeeded in warding off Assamese rebels from India and drove them out of the country in 2003. Contrary to popular demand of the structures being built to mark the victory, they were built instead in memory of the deceased soldiers.
Located at the crest of Dochula pass is also the Druk Wangyal Lhakhang temple, built in honour of His Majesty the fourth Druk Gyalpo, Jigme Singye Wangchuck.
Majestic and profound, the Dochula pass offers the beauty of the Himalayan range with a healthy dollop of spirituality and history.
Dochula Pass Information
- Make sure you have a reliable and experienced driver as the drive up is quite treacherous and there are large parts of the road under construction.
- You might face some shortage of oxygen because of the high altitude, so those suffering from asthma or respiratory disorders would do well to carry precautionary medical aid.
- Walking around the stupas is a great way to explore Bhutan’s rich culture and stretch out your legs from the long roadtrip.
- Photography enthusiasts – try and get there before sunrise to capture some of the most idyllic beauty nature has to offer.
- A lot of visitors have made plans of going to Dochula pass but have been thrown off track by the fog, which is a perennial occurrence in this area.
- A clear and sunny winter day is a promising one to attempt this trip, if you’re going for the view.
- The Bhutanese Butter Tea at the restaurant is excellent and reinvigorating.
Restaurants Near Dochula Pass
- Open-air restaurant at Dochula
- Karma Coffee
- Zest Bar & Lounge
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Thimphu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Thimphu and book an accommodation of your choice.
Dochula Pass, Thimphu Reviews - Write a Review
Oct 2017. A stopover rest area between Thimpu and Punakha. A place to see the mountain range during good weather. The rest area serves free coffee/tea and biscuits, others are additional charges. The chorten was built by one of the queen of the 4th King to honour those who had been killed during the war with the insurgents in the south of Bhutan.
Located at 3150 meters above sea level is a scenic beauty. On a clear day you can see the whole Himalayan mountain ranges. Newly constructed park with meditation hall gives people and travelers to sit down and mediate . Awesome place
Beautiful place with 108 chortens and nice himalaya mountains view
Nice place, you can touch the clouds, don't miss it.
Its location is nice with memorial for warriors! Beautiful view around with a decent cafe nearby.
- Nearby Attractions
- Royal Monetary Authority
- National Library
- Changlimithang Stadium
- Folk Heritage Museum Kawajangsa
- Traditional Medicine Institute
- Ramada Valley Thimphu
- Thimphu Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Thimphu
- What to See in 48 Hours in Thimphu
- What to See in 72 Hours in Thimphu
- How to Spend 5 Days in Thimphu
- How to Spend 6 Days in Thimphu
- How to Spend 7 Days in Thimphu