Events and Festivals in Thimphu
- Tour of the Drago (Bicycle Race) - On 6th September, 2014: This 268km, one-day mountain bike race in the country of Bhutan, this is a real test of endurance. Staged on mountain road, it is the hardest one-day mountain bike race in the world, spanning four high mountain passes ranging from 1200 meters to 3340 meters.
- Thimphu Drubchen - From 28th September to 2nd Oct, 2014: Performed at the Thimphu Chhodzong, this is the five-day event preceding the three-day Thimphu Tshetchu. The sacred mask dance is performed to appease the protecting deity of Bhutan, Pelden Lhamo.
- Thimphu Tshetchu - From 3rd to 5th October: A religious event celebrated on tenth day of a month of the lunar calendar corresponding to the birthday of Guru Rimpoche (or Guru Padmasambhava), the exact month of the Tshechu varies from one place to another but the one in Thimphu this year falls in October and is one of the two most important one in Bhutan.
- Coming together to witness grand religious mask dances depicting stories that date as far back as the 8th century, this is a community event celebrated with aplomb where citizens mingle, socialize and receive blessings from the elders. There are also vibrant and colourful Bhutanese dances and various other forms of entertainment.
- It is Bhutanese belief that everyone must attend a Tshechu at least once and witness the mask dances in order to receive blessings and wash away their sins. Monks perform the mask dances in monasteries, while smaller villagers see celebrations and performances by monks and village men. The Tshetchu is Thimphu also sees an influx of curious tourists fascinated by the exuberant display of traditional culture and performances.
- 13th December, 2014 – Druk Wangyel Tshetchu: Held at the Dochula pass at an altitude of 3,000m, initiated in 2011 under the patronage of Her Majesty the Queen Mother Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck in honour of the armed forces for their bravery and selfless service of the country.
Trip plans for Thimphu
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Thimphu
Thimphu Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Thimphu
Save 6%Bhutan-The Kingdom in the Sky ( 12 Nights 13 Days )New on TripHobo
Duration: 13 Days
Bhutans mountainous terrain offers a fascinating adventure for cycling enthusiasts.The route is accompanied by mixed forests,...
Save 25%Kuenselphodrang day hikeNew on TripHobo
Duration: 7 Hrs
This is a lovely hike from Kuenselphodrang to Changangkha monastery. The hike will take about 3 to 4 hours. The hike is throu...
Save 20%A Short Trip Of Bhutan
This tour allows you to see the heart of Bhutan
Save 20%Bhutan Fantasy
Enjoy Bhutan with us and explore the fantastic venues.