How to Reach Thimphu, Bhutan
The Easiest Way to Reach Thimphu
- By Plane: The country’s sole International airport is located in Paro, about 54 km away from Thimphu, about an hour’s drive away. Nearly all visitors currently arrive via Paro by plane, and another International airport is underconstruction in the south central district of Gelephu. In addition, there are three domestic airports and two domestic carriers.
- By Bus: All inter-district buses arrive and depart from the city's bus station in the city centre, located across the river. It is a six to seven hour drive (mostly through Chukha district) from the border town of Phuentsholing. Travellers should be aware that the roads around the mountains frequently undergo construction work and there might be holdups and inconveniences – always get on one of these buses with some bottled water and snacks in case the journey gets adventurous. Work on the Paro to Thimphu section was complete in 2008.
- Private operators like Dhug, Meto and Sernya run Toyota Coaster services from Phuentsholing to Thimphu. These buses can seat 22 and are very comfortable. Advance reservation can be made at Phuentsholing Bus Station.
- From Thimphu,there are various buses that ply to other parts of the country.
The city centre is easily navigable by foot due to its small size. The other options are:
- By Taxi: These operate at a set route and ply city routes, the upper limit being around 60nu. There are taxi ranks on Norzin Lam (across from the cinema hall) and at the inter-district bus station. It is customary to hail taxis on the road at any point.
- By Bus: The city operates an efficient, albeit infrequent, public bus service connecting the downtown with outer suburbs. The local bus station is located just east of the stadium on Chang Lam.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to Thimphu and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in Thimphu
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Thimphu. The most preferred mode of transport in Thimphu is Working from Home.
- How to Reach Cities Near Thimphu
- How to reach Paro
- How to reach Phuntsholing
- How to reach Wangdue Phodrang
- How to reach Punakha
- How to reach Ha
- How to reach Gasa
- How to reach Daga
- How to reach Phuentsholing
- How to reach Trongsa
- How to Reach Top Cities in Bhutan
- How to reach Zhemgang
- How to reach Phajoding
- How to reach Pemagatsel
- How to reach Sarpang
- How to reach Samdrup Jongkhar
- How to reach Motithang
- How to reach Mongar
- How to reach Lhuntse
- How to Reach Cities Around the World
- How to reach Paris
- How to reach Prague
- How to reach Rome
- How to reach Rio De Janeiro
- How to reach London
- How to reach Miami
- How to reach Mountain View
- How to reach Naperville
- How to reach Milwaukee