Motithang Takin Preserve, Thimphu
About Motithang Takin Preserve, Thimphu
Motithang Takin Preserve, Thimphu - Address
Address: Motithang district of Thimphu, Bhutan
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 30.4K times in trip plans
Wildlife Sanctuary , Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
A short distance up the road to the Bhutan Broadcast Service TV tower viewpoint is a trail that will take you to a large fenced enclosure that was originally established as a zoo, located in the Motithang district of Thimphu. The takin is an animal with significant religious connotation in Bhutan, as a mythological tale dating back to the 15th century relates how a Tibetan saint with the epithet ‘The Divine Madman’ created this species with the head of a goat and the body of a cow, found only on the hills of Bhutan.
When a small number of takins were confined to the zoo in Thimphu, therefore, the fourth king decided that it did not become Buddhist principles to enclose animals in a premises for recreational purposes. To everyone’s surprise, releasing the takins proved to be a misguided move as they were too domesticated to live in a natural habitat. Thus, a natural preserve by way of a protected forested area was demarcated to house these unique animals. There are also barking deer and few sambar in the area with the NCD planning on bringing in other rare animals unique to Bhutan like the Red Panda and the Himalayan Serow.
This is a must-visit for wildlife enthusiasts and photographers, and you can get to see this otherwise elusive species up close when they are being fed.
Motithang Takin Preserve Information
- Going in the morning is a good idea since that’s when the takins are being fed by the preserve attendants, giving you a rare chance to see it up close.
- Don’t forget to carry your camera.
- Takins can be quite elusive and spotting them is a stroke of luck, so come prepared for a bit of a wait if you’re intent on seeing them!
- Getting a guide to take you around will add context to your trip.
- There is maintenance work that has been going on at the Preserve.
- There is no cafe or restaurant on the actual premises so it would be good to plan in a way that you eat either before or after your trip.
Restaurants Near Motithang Takin Preserve
- The Bhutanese
- The Zone
- Ambient Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Thimphu before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Thimphu and book an accommodation of your choice.