Lush greenery all year round, trinkets of streams which adorn the mountains during rains, rich, historic palaces and temples, and a fresh ease with which the city merges into its urban avatar is Trivandrum’s salient features and anyone who visits, leaves wanting for more.
The core of Trivandrum or Thiruvananthapuram is not for the luxury traveler. If you want to see the rustic beauty of the city, you will find it in its temples, churches, ever-winding roads which take you back in a time-warp, while the constant greenery reminds you that you are indeed in God’s own Country.
Trivandrum is the capital of Kerala and does have an urban pulse with its Techno Park and Science research centers and even though the city embraces technology, it has horned its skills, to keep the heritage alive and breathing in modern times.
The city is one of the oldest in India. The popular historic evidences, however, date back to 14th century under the rule of Venad Dynasty who made the city a major trade center. The 17th century Venad King - Maharaja Marthanada Varma, highlighted the city of Keralaon the world map and dedicated his entire kingdom to Lord Padmanabhan. The Padmanabhaswamy Temple which resides in the city is still a major tourist attraction and is the richest Hindu temple in the world.
Its rich history has framed Trivandrum into a traveler’s ‘dream come true’ and boosted its tourism- offering a heady mix of culture, religion, history, architecture, nature and hospitality.
Essential travel information and Trivandrum tips for your visit
- Make sure you follow the necessary customs when you visit Temples.
- Do verify how to pronounce names of the places as the pronunciations can be rather tricky.
- Even though the city has so much to see and do, most of the city sleeps by 10.00 pm. It is advised to explore the city when the sun shines best.
- Time Zone- UTC+05:30
- Currency- Indian National Rupee (INR)
- Electricity: Power in India is 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Internet 3G compatibility (4G recently introduced).
- Languages- The local language is Malyalam but people understand and speak English too. Other languages include Hindi and Tamil.
- Security: Numbers for emergency - Ambulance/ Fire- 101; Police 100; Police Crime Stopper- 1090
- Tourist Traps: Renting a Car in the city is often overpriced. Hire a Cab or Taxi instead.
- Customs: Modest clothes are preferred unless you are staying at Luxury hotels. Most of the places in the city are quiet traditional.
- Remove your foot wear when you visit temples, shrines or any other religious places.
Trivandrum Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for trivandrum. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using trivandrum trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Trivandrum
Trivandrum Airport Transfer to Trivandrum Hotels
1 Hr1 Reviews
Trivandrum Walk of Divinity (2 Hours Guided Walk)
2 Hrs4 Reviews
Kingdom of Gods Small Group Walking Tour
2 Hrs15 Reviews
Private Walking Tour Kingdom of Gods Trail
2 Hrs2 Reviews
Trivandrum day trip and sight seeing with lunch
6 Hrs6 Reviews
Is there night life there. I mean is there any night pub, dancing ectAnswer Report Abuse
I do not think there are any pubs or nightclubs here. But, I know a couple of bars like Twist opposite Commissionerate Office and The Skybar in Vivekanand Nagar.Report Abuse