Trivandrum is rich in cultural festivals and events and you can witness major celebration in winter and harvest season.
- Onam: Celebrated in August-September, Onam marks the beginning of the new year according to Malayalam Calendar and is the harvest festival in Kerala. Do try the nine course meal called the Onasadya consisting of 11 to 13 essential dishes.
- Nishigandha Dance and Music Festival: Held in January every year, the Nishigandha Dance and Music Festivals celebrate the cultural spirit of Kerala. Kathakali Performances are a highlight.
- The Village Fair: Held in January every year, the weeklong festival is perfect if you want to witness the local life n Kerala in the bygone days. The traditional dances are a favorite. The fair is held near Kovalam.
- Vetta and Arattu: Held twice annually- in October-November and March- April, the festival is known for its processions with idols to the Sangumughan beach in company with the royal family. At sunset the idols are bathed in the Sea and carried back to the Padmanabhaswamy temple followed by all-night Kathakali performances.
- Attukal Pongala: Celebrated between 18th and 26thof February, annuallyat Attukal Bhagavati Temple, the 10-day festival known for offering‘Pongal’ (cooked jiggery, coconut and banana dish to the Goddess on the 9th day. This festival is unique as only women are allowed to do the rituals.