Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Trivandrum
About Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Trivandrum
Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Trivandrum - Address, Phone Number
Address: West Nada, East Fort, Trivandrum 695023, India
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 03:00 am - 07:20 pm Details
Added 45.6K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
One of the most popular and richest temples in India, the Pandmanabhaswamy Temple is known for its number of devotees and its massive treasure unearthed in 2011. Perhaps the most mysterious of Indian temples, the Padmanabhaswamy temple still has vaults which are unknown to anyone but the royal family of Travancore and its controversies change with every story.
On a spiritual note, the Temple is known for its serene and tranquil atmosphere and its spell-binding architecture- some of which are masterpieces of their own right.
The temple is mentioned in ancient scriptures including the Bhagwad Gita and is still stranger to the actual date of its consecration.
- Greta Temple (Maha Kshetram)
- Ananthasayanam Idol (Legend says that 12 Salagramas stones when worshipped together have the power of a Mahakshetram, this idol is made up 12008 Salagramas Stones).
- Single stone platform covering a space of 20 square feet with a thickness of 2 and a half feet at the Ottakkal Mandapam.
- The Golden flag-staff (Dwaja Stambham) made from a teak is covered in Gold.
- Gopuram for its Dranvidian style of architecture.
- Theerthams or Sacred Water from many sources from which Padmatheertham is located on the temple’s east.
- Mural Paintings- largest one seen behind the sanctum is 18 feet long.
The temple maintains disciplined rituals with strict rules for its visitors. Do visit the official website before you visit the temple.
Padmanabhaswamy Temple Information
The temple has some strict rules for admission including dress codes:
- Men must wear traditional Mundu without a shirt while Women must wear a Sari or traditional Mundu set (Skirt and top) which cover the feet completely. Trousers, churidars are allowed for individuals below age 14.
- Visit the official website before you visit the place to reach about customs and rituals and strictly followed.
- The temple allows admittance to only those who profess Hindu religion.
- Other contact number is +91 0471246 4606.
Padmanabhaswamy Temple Ticket Prices
- If you want to be a part of the Puja, you can perform their main pujas for a price. Do visit the official temple website for more information.
Padmanabhaswamy Temple Opening and Closing Hours
- 03.30 am to 04.45 am (Nirmalya Darshanam)
- 06.30 am to 07.00 am
- 08.30 am to 10.00 am
- 10.30 am to 11.10 am
- 11.45 am to 12.00 Noon
- 05.00 pm to 06.15 pm
- 06.45 pm to 07.20 pm
Timings may vary during festivals.
How To reach Padmanabhaswamy Temple by Public Transport
- Bus: At East Fort Bus Station.
- Hire an Auto-rickshaw.
- Hire a Taxi/ Cab.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trivandrum before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trivandrum and book an accommodation of your choice.
Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Trivandrum Reviews - Write a Review
Such a lovely ambience
Just another over hyped temple. Considering that it's considered the wealthiest temple in the world, it doesn't really look like it, which is not a big deal if they managed it sensibly. The security should be there, but they've made a huge hype about it as well. In our case, after entering the temple, the security made us remove earphones from my mother's purse, which we weren't informed about beforehand and which doesn't make much sense since they are allowing the purse inside but removing everything in it. We had to throw in the side because they also had no counter to keep such stuff and if we went back to the previous counter to keep it, we'd have to wait for a long time since there was rush everywhere. So good luck throwing your beloved things on floor. They have a dress code policy, which doesn't seem that stupid until you find out the actual reason behind it. Also a Hindu only temple. Like every other famous temple in India, they too have a "premium visit with extra fee" feature. You can use it to avoid getting in line and have a quick visit inside. Now it could be helpful if they didn't have a big line even for that and make everyone sit outside for 15 mins. To me, its just another example of blind faith turning into business.
The rock carvings itself is quite amazing. And when you visit the temple in the traditional attire it just enhances your overall spiritual experience. And the main city market is just round the corner. No photography allowed. Next to kuthiramalika palace
Apart from it is a reverred Hindu Temple, it is picturesque. Architecture is magnificent. Visiting hours are 5.00 pm to 9 pm in the evening. The men must be bare bodied and wear a dhoti ( available at the gate for Rs. 70/-) and the ladies must wrap a dhoti over their clothes. No hassle.The person selling the dhoti will tech you how to wear it. A must see.
Worlds most wealthiest temple, Temple structure is really good and highly secured. Management is also helpful. Temple environment is soothing. Temple maintains strict dress code, any type of electronic gadget is not allowed, please refer to temple website before going there, deposit counters are available outside temple at reasonable price.
- Nearby Attractions
- Museum Complex
- Kovalam Beach
- Kanakakkunnu Palace
- Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary
- Legislative Museum
- Trivandrum Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Trivandrum
- What to See in 48 Hours in Trivandrum
- What to See in 72 Hours in Trivandrum
- How to Spend 5 Days in Trivandrum
- How to Spend 6 Days in Trivandrum
- How to Spend 7 Days in Trivandrum