Erunbeeswarer Temple76 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Malaikoil, Thiruverumbur, Tamil Nadu 620013, Tiruchirappalli, India Map
- Timings: 08:00 am - 08:30 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Located less than 10 kilometres to the east of Tiruchirappalli, the Erunbeeswarer Temple is built on a 60-feet tall hill. The temple consists of one main shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva along with 2 parikramas or courtyards and was built by King Aditya Chola to commemorate his victory in the battle of Tirupurambiyam.
It is believed that Lord Shiva himself transformed into an anthill and tilted his head to this particular temple so that the ants could reach the shrine to worship him. Even today, you can see ants on the Shivalingam! The 10th century building is a protected monument by the Archaeological Survey of India and owing to its importance is named "Kailash of South India" since Lord Shiva resides at the temple. The place is at its best during the full moon when devotees from all over the region walk barefoot to the temple to partake in poojas and prayers.
Other highlights of the temple include
- The beautiful stone Rajgopuram with statues carved into the gateway
- The rare inscriptions that are still seen on the temple walls
- A few spots that lie in ruin but still somehow manage to exude an old-world charm
- The main idol of Shivalingam along with granite sculptures of Lord Ganesha, Murugan, the Navgraha (9 planets), Goddess Durga and Dakshinamurthy
- The shrine of Narunguzhal Nayagi Amman
The temple finds its mention in an ancient book called Tevaram which was written by Appar- a famous saint and poet of the 7th century who was also a nayanmar (one of the noble Tamil saints in ancient India). For visitors, the temple promises a beautiful experience exploring one of the oldest structures in the region.
Erunbeeswarer Temple Travel Tips
- It is customary to remove your footwear before you enter the shrine. However, do wear comfortable shoes with decent grip to reach the temple and walk around the premises.
Entrance Ticket Details For Erunbeeswarer Temple
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
How to Reach Erunbeeswarer Temple
- By Bus : Malaikovil Bus Stop
- By Train : Tiruverumbur
- Private Taxis are available for hire.
- By renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tiruchirappalli before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tiruchirappalli and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Erunbeeswarer Temple Address: Malaikoil, Thiruverumbur, Tamil Nadu 620013, Tiruchirappalli, India
- Erunbeeswarer Temple Timing: 08:00 am - 08:30 pm
- Best time to visit Erunbeeswarer Temple(preferred time): 04:00 pm - 07:30 pm
- Time required to visit Erunbeeswarer Temple: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
34.23% of people who visit Tiruchirappalli include Erunbeeswarer Temple in their plan
95% of people start their Erunbeeswarer Temple visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Erunbeeswarer Temple