Kaattu Azhagiya Singar TempleCurrently Open
- Address: Kaattazhagiya Singaperumal temple, Nelson Road, Sri Rangam, Tiruchirappalli – 620 006, India
- Timings: 06:15 am - 08:30 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4312432246
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture
The Kaattazhagiya Singaperumal temple stands on the ground where once there was a thick forest with elephants. Once, the elephants started a rampage and the villagers were afraid of these majestic creatures and their wrath. In ancient scripture, killing elephants ties you in circle of sins and hence villagers didn’t want to kill the animals. To end the struggle, the people prayed to Lord Narsimha- promising to build a temple in his honour. Soon the elephants calmed down and peace was restored to the village.
This particular temple is dedicated to Kaattazhagiya which translates to “the jungle God). The place has a beautiful 8-feet tall idol of Lord Lakshmi Narsimha along with an idol of Shri Mahalakshmi. Although open all year long, the temple is mostly visited on the day of Vijayadasami on the 10th day of the Navratri festival when devotees from all over the region come here to make a wish to Lord Perumal. The architecture of the temple is traditional with stone construction. On Sahasrdeepam day, the entire temple is illuminated by lamps lighted by devotees and along with the traditional paintings of gods and goddesses seen around the temple and the sheer festive atmosphere of the place, a visit here is perfect to get a glimpse of India’s culture up close.
Kaattu Azhagiya Singar Temple Travel Tips
- It is customary to remove your footwear before entering the temple. Please wear modest clothes for your visit.
How to Reach Kaattu Azhagiya Singar Temple
- By Bus : Taluk Office Bus Stop
- By Train : Srirangam
- By taking an Auto-rickshaw.
- Private Taxis are available for hire.
- By renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tiruchirappalli before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tiruchirappalli and book an accommodation of your choice.