Ranganathaswamy Temple110 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Sri Ranganathar Swamy Temple, Srirangam, Tiruchirappalli – 620 006, Tamil Nadu, India
- Timings: 07:30 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4312432246
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture
The Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple is one of India’s biggest temples and is one of the 108 Divya Desams (holy shrines) dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This particular temple has an idol of Vishnu in reclining form and is mentioned in Tamil literature and scriptures that date back to the time frame from 6th to 9th century. However, the oldest structure that can still be seen here dates back to the 10th century.
The architecture of the temple is strikingly different that others seen in India with distinct Dravidian style but it is the history of the temple that truly makes it special. During the 11th century, the temple was easily flooded since it was located on an island between the Kollidam and Cauvery rivers. In the 14th century, it was completely looted and destroyed by the Delhi Sultanate. However, the place was rebuilt later and extensions were made to its structure in the 16th and 17th century that added the intricately made Gopurams to its layout. Currently, the place has 49 separate shrines dedicated to Vishnu, 39 pavillions and 7 Gopurams- one of which is called the Rajgopuram and and is one of Asia’s tallest towers with a height of 73 metres. It is only after the seventh Gopuram that you can enter the main shrine with the reclining idol of Vishnu.
Other highlights of the temple include:
- The Art museum before the 5th Gopuram that has a collection of beautiful bronze tusks of elephant statues from old temples and a beautiful Nayak ivory figurine that dates back to the 17th century
- The Sesha mandappa which is a 16th century hall that has rare monolithic carvings of horses and depictions of 10 incarnations of Lord Vishnu
- A 1000 pillar hall that was recently excavated and shows beautiful dance positons carved into its base section
- The Garuda mandapa at the 5th Gopuram that bears a shrine dedicated to the eagle-form vehicle rode by Vishnu
- The roof viewpoint that offers a beautiful view of the temple and its surrounding
If you want to see the temple at its best, visit the place during the Margazhi month (December- January) when the place attracts around 1 million worshippers!
Ranganathaswamy Temple Travel Tips
- It is customary to remove your footwear before entering the temple.
- Please wear modest clothes for the visit.
Entrance Ticket Details For Ranganathaswamy Temple
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
- Camera: INR 50
- Video recording: INR 100
- Roof access: INR 20
How to Reach Ranganathaswamy Temple
- By Bus : Pettavaithalai Bus Stand
- By Train : Srirangam
- By taking an Auto-rickshaw.
- Private Taxis are available for hire.
- By renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tiruchirappalli before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tiruchirappalli and book an accommodation of your choice.
65.09% of people who visit Tiruchirappalli include Ranganathaswamy Temple in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
57.14% of people start their Ranganathaswamy Temple visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Ranganathaswamy Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ranganathaswamy Temple
Ranganathaswamy Temple Reviews & Ratings
We are planning to go to Srirangam temple on 25-12-21 darshan tickets are not opening in official website . whether they are allowing darshan's in the temple or notAnswer Report Abuse
Respected sir, We program to Srirengam temple on 15.8.2021. Please reply the temple will be opening on this day sir.Answer Report Abuse
CAN I GET A PASS TO VISIT SRI RANGANATHASWAMY TEMPLE, SRIRANGAM AT ALL TIMES AND ALSO ON SPECIAL OCASSIONS LIKE VAIKUNTA EKADASI ETC AS I AM PLANNING TO SHIFT TO SRIRANGAM.Answer Report Abuse