Vayalur Murugan Temple1 Vote Currently Open
- Address: Sundar Nagar, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu 620021, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4312607344
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
The Vayalur Murugan Temple dates back to the 9th century and was built by a King od the Chola Dynasty. Since its construction, the temple has become an important worship place in Vayalur which itself is considered a holy town owing to the its mention in Thirupugazh poems written by saint Arunagirinathar.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Murugan who is a form of Lord Shiva and is worshipped by people who come here to pray for a healthy, happy, successful life. A dip in the temple tank is believed to get rid of any obstacle in one’s life. Along with the main idol of Lord Murugan, the temple has shrines of Nataraj (with a unique depiction showing the Lord of Dance with both feet on the ground) and Lord Ganesha with his consorts Valli and Deivanai. The surrounding lush green greenery and the Sakhti Theertaham complete the temple. Visit the place to see yet another historic temple in Tiruchirappali and don’t forget to offer a humble prayer while here. The beautiful carvings on the temple along with the vibrant Gopuram and interiors, add to the charm of the place.
Vayalur Murugan Temple Travel Tips
- It is customary to remove your footwear before entering the temple. Do wear modest clothes for the visit.
Vayalur Murugan Temple Hours
- Festival days : open daily 4.00 am to 1.00 pm; 3.30 pm to 11.00 pm
- Ushakalam Morning - 6.00 am
- Kalasanthi Morning - 8.00 am
- Uchikalam Noon - 1.00 pm
- Sayarakshai Evening - 5.00 pm
- Irandam Kalam Night - 7.30 pm
- Arthajamam Night - 9.00 pm
How to Reach Vayalur Murugan Temple
- By Bus : Somarasampettai Bus Stop (2.8 kilometres away)
- By taking an Auto-rickshaw.
- Private Taxis are available for hire.
- By renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tiruchirappalli before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tiruchirappalli and book an accommodation of your choice.