Events and Festivals in Tokyo, Japan
Events and Festivals in Tokyo
Many festivals occur during the year in Tokyo, many of which are centered around a specific Shinto Shrine.
- Kanda Matsuri: One of the large Shinto festivals of the city, it is held on the weekend around May 15th at the Kanda Shrine. A large parade that includes mikoshi porters and floats. Odd-numbered years.
- Sanja Matsuri: Every year, the third weekend in May sees this wild festival take place at the Asakusa Shrine with portable mikoshi shrines and traditional music and dance.
- Sanno Matsuri: Celebrating the city’s rulers in mid-June, this festival. Events during a week happen at the Hie Shrine. Tea ceremonies and traditional music and dance take place. Happens in even-numbered years.
- Tokyo Jazz Festival: An annual two day event which showcases performers from around the globe.
- Tokyo Summer Festival: An annual international music festival that invites artists from around the world to perform in Japan and has a different theme each year.
- Shimokitazawa: This area is not frequented by the normal tourist crowds. Instead, the bohemian ambiance play host to street musicians and a bustling little community of artists and dive bar patrons. Great little food joints hide away down thin alleyways, beckoning you in. There are thousands of hotels throughout the city, and visitors will have to choose depending on where they wish to be located. Plenty of backpacker and budget hostels are available, just remember to read reviews thoroughly.
Trip plans for Tokyo
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Tokyo
Tokyo Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Tokyo
Tokyo Morning Tour: Meiji Shrine, Senso-ji Temple and Ginza Shopping District 313 Reviews
Duration: 4 Hrs
See Tokyo's highlights on a 4-hour sightseeing tour a perfect introduction to the first-time visitor or someone with limited...Book Now
Nikko National Park Day Trip from Tokyo 540 Reviews
Duration: 11 Hrs
Explore the scenic shrines and breathtaking countryside of Nikko National Park on a relaxing day trip from Tokyo. Famous for ...Book Now
SHIMOKITAZAWA Local Walking Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs
3 hours of walking tour in Shimokitazawa offer the unique experience to encounter diverse range of individuality. We wander t...Book Now
Save 66%Become a Modern Ninja with the Master in Tokyo New on TripHobo
Duration: 1 Hrs 30 Mins
Learn all about true ninja techniques and cultures during this private lesson with the master whose martial arts experience s...
- Events & Festivals in Edogawa
- Events & Festivals in Yokohama-shi
- Events & Festivals in Chiba
- Events & Festivals in Narita
- Events & Festivals in Hakone
- Events & Festivals in Fujiyoshida
- Events & Festivals in Nikko
- Events & Festivals in Nagaoka
- Events & Festivals in Takayama
- Events & Festivals in Kyoto
- Events & Festivals in Nara
- Events & Festivals in Hiroshima
- Events & Festivals in Nagoya-shi
- Events & Festivals in Kanazawa-shi
- Events & Festivals in Sapporo-shi