Ghibli Museum6388 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1-1-83 Shimorenjaku, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-0013, Japan
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-570055777
- Ticket Price: 1000 JPY
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Specialty Museums
A Ghibli studio is the home of Totoro- a character that is associated with nature and nostalgia that can only be the sweetness of our childhoods. Based on the movie “Tonari no Totoro” (the English title is My neighbor Totoro) has a world-wide fan following over a wide age-group. This museum has art and figurines inspired by the movies from the studio production and art work of creator Hayao Miyazaki. His animation films are known for their endearing quality and coming of age story-lines among others. The museum was also designed my Miyazaki and it shows how story-boarding and animation actually work. The building is a mini-maze with no specific sequence of what to look at first. For those who have not watched a Ghibli studio movie, it is still a wonderful experience because it has a retro theme worked in with the sweetness of an animated film for children. It will leave you starry-eyed and wanting to be part of a magical journey forever.
It has a cute cafe as well where you can enjoy a themed snack.
Do not miss a visit to the Ghibli Museum and follow this 3 days in Tokyo itinerary.
Ghibli Museum Travel Tips
- It would help to be aquainted with Miyazaki's movies like My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo and ProcoRosso.
- They strictly forbid photography inside the museum but the cafe and the park in which the museum is situated are great places to picnic.
- The tickets have to be bought in advance and so the venue is not very crowded.
- Wear comfortable casual clothes.
- Tickets for each month up to three months ahead will be sold from the 1st of every month. So booking ahead is compulsory.
How to Reach Ghibli Museum
- Bus: Mitaka station to Museum- 200 yen one way and 300 yen for round trip.
- Train: JR Chuo Line Mitaka station-approx. 15 min. walk along the TamagawaJosui "Waterworks" to the museum.
- Patteserrie Cote-Du-Bois
- La Forte
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tokyo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tokyo and book an accommodation of your choice.
19.62% of people who visit Tokyo include Ghibli Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
73.63% of people start their Ghibli Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Ghibli Museum
92.3% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ghibli Museum