Meiji Jingu Shrine24742 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1-1 Yoyogikamizonocho, Shibuya, Tokyo 151-8557, Japan
- Timings: 05:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-333795511
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Landmark, Historical Site
Japan has a very special relationship with its royal family. The Japanese Diet (governing body) commemorated Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken by enshrining them at the Meiji Jingu Shrine. Emperor Meiji brought about wide-spread change in Japanese society and politics by opening up of trade and policies with other nations of the western world. The Meiji era is marked by the confluence of Western-meets- Eastern and rapid industrialization and growth. The shrine itself is a traditional Shinto shrine built in 1920. It was once destroyed in the World War II but was rebuilt after raising funds and completed in 1958. The garden grounds are spread over 700.000 square meters and has trees received as donations from all over the country! The most celebrated time to be at the shrine though is New Year's Eve, when thousands of people gather there to offer prayers and receive blessings for the year ahead!
Meiji Jingu Shrine in Tokyo is one of the numerous places which take you closer to the Japanese culture. It is a great destination to visit for those who love the old world charm. Even though the tickets of Meiji Jingu Shrine are available free of cost, still you can give some donation here. Moreover, you can also opt for the Meiji Jingu Shrine tours to get the detailed tour of the shrine. Buy the Meiji Jingu Shrine tour tickets to get a detailed trip down the memory lane.
Also, visit nearby attractions which are covered in Tokyo itinerary 1 day.
Meiji Jingu Shrine Travel Tips
- Wear comfortable clothes and clothes appropriate for a shrine visit. That means no revealing or flashy clothes.
- The temple opens at dawn and closes at sunset, so, strictly speaking there is no opening or closing time as such.
Entrance Ticket Details For Meiji Jingu Shrine
- The temple visit is free but most people make offerings at the shrine starting from ¥10,000.
- For ¥30,000 one can enjoy special religious dance and music.
Meiji Jingu Shrine Hours
- Sometime opens at 5:40 am to 6:40am, according to the sunrise of that day- gardens open at all times.
- Sometime closes at 4:20pm to 6:30, according to the sunset time of the day.
How to Reach Meiji Jingu Shrine
- Harajuku or Yoyogi station- 5mins walk.
- Restaurant I
- Bistor Daltemist
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tokyo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tokyo and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.47% of people who visit Tokyo include Meiji Jingu Shrine in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
81.29% of people start their Meiji Jingu Shrine visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Meiji Jingu Shrine
86.42% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Meiji Jingu Shrine