Tokyo National Museum14709 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 13-9 Uenokoen, Taito, Tokyo 110-8712, Japan
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-338221111
- Ticket Price: 600 JPY
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, History Museums, Family And Kids, Sculpture
The Tokyo National Museum is the oldest museum in Japan. It was built in 1872 in the Ueno Garden. This museum has a vast breadth of artifacts from different periods of history in Japan. From Buddhism to Samurai to Noh (traditional theater), they have art and sculpture to leave you mesmerized. Not just history but modern art also has a special place at the museum. The museum is divided into section related to potter, the art of sword-making and sculpture among others. They have artifacts from around Asia that have influenced Japan and Japanese culture on the whole. A section on native ancient history is also a wonderful treasure. They also have short exhibitions with traveling exhibits to showcase different eras of history. Japan is an old culture and visit to this museum will grant you a new perspective into the lives of the Japanese.
Explore Tokyo National Museum and many other attractions like Sensoji Temple in this Tokyo itinerary 4 days.
Tokyo National Museum Travel Tips
- Dress in semi-formals. Do not wear loud colours or jewelry as it can disturb other patrons.
- Wear comfortable shoes because standing for long periods of time is expected.
- They do have a souvenir shop to buy gifts.
- This place is closed on Mondays.
Tokyo National Museum Hours
- Last entry is at 4:30pm.
How to Reach Tokyo National Museum
- Train: Keihintouhokulin- Uguisudani Station
- Train: JR Yamanote Line – for Ikebukuro / for Ueno
- Restaurant Museuon
- Honjin Soba
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tokyo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tokyo and book an accommodation of your choice.
55.19% of people who visit Tokyo include Tokyo National Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.61% of people start their Tokyo National Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Tokyo National Museum
52.75% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tokyo National Museum