The Cathedral Church Of St. James144 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 65 Church St, Toronto, ON M5C 2E9, Canada Map
- Timings: 07:30 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4163647865
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Cathedral
When opened in 1853 this Gothic Revival church of white brick and Ohio sandstone was one of the largest buildings in the region. For 25 years the spire of the church was the tallest man-made structure in Canada. It was built on the site of an older stone church that was destroyed in the Great Fire of Toronto in 1849. The architecture incorporates all the elements such as the stained-glass windows, the choir, the transepts, the side aisles, and the flying buttresses into making the best use of natural light. Check out the Mint0n-tile floor work, the carved organ, the black walnut panelling of the chancel and Corinthian capitals.
Right outside the church is the St. James Park, a Victorian formal garden with a water fountain and a large gazebo. It’s almost an attraction in and of itself.
How to Reach The Cathedral Church Of St. James
- Streetcar 304, 504, 514; Bus 503 stop King St East at Church St.
- Streetcar 301, 501; Bus 502 stop Queen St East at Church St.
- Subway 1 stop Queen Station.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Toronto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Toronto and book an accommodation of your choice.
- The Cathedral Church Of St. James Address: 65 Church St, Toronto, ON M5C 2E9, Canada
- The Cathedral Church Of St. James Contact Number: +1-4163647865
- The Cathedral Church Of St. James Timing: 07:30 am - 05:30 pm
- Time required to visit The Cathedral Church Of St. James: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.49% of people who visit Toronto include The Cathedral Church Of St. James in their plan
42.86% of people start their The Cathedral Church Of St. James visit around 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see The Cathedral Church Of St. James
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Cathedral Church Of St. James
People normally club together Centreville Amusement Park and Legislative Assembly Of Ontario while planning their visit to The Cathedral Church Of St. James.