Cockington Country ParkCurrently Open
- Address: Cockington Village, Cockington, Torquay, Devon TQ2 6XA, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +441-803520022
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: Park, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Just a mile away from the Torquay seafront there is the beautiful thatched village of Cockington which was initially a fishing and farming village, and in the heart of it is a big park known as the Cockington Country Park. This was founded in 1991 for the purpose of regeneration of Torquay’s most valued resources. It comprises of a manor house and a church set in formal parkland and an eye-catching valley with mixed woodland, pastures and wetland and even horse rides.
A tourist attraction from the early Victorian ages, now invites 350000 every year. The whole of this village park is a conservation area because of its historic value. The estate is mentioned in the Doomsday Book and was owned by three different renowned families till it was made a Cockington conservation property. Keeping in mind the steadily declining condition of this beautiful place, the design of the thatched village was put to use. As a result the picture has changed from rotten timbers and collapsing buildings to well-converted housings. The renovation work is still on to bring the park at its best state and now it is covered with runs of green to soothe your mind and eyes.
The park features-
- Beautiful formal gardens with lush green grass and rare plants.
- Lakes and woodlands on both sides which can be enjoyed by walking along picturesque pathways from where the surrounding valley can be seen all around.
- A visitor’s centre set up by local workmen where you can find artists and craftsmen at work.
- A newly renovated craft center with glass-blowers, chocolatier and a blacksmith.
- The game keeper’s cottage where there are sports arrangements for visitors.
- Mascombe woods which is an unimproved chalked grassland.
- Other Information: The Agatha Christie mile where she performed amateur dramatics during her childhood days is a very popular attraction. It will surely give you an essence of the Jazz age.
- The Cockington Crafts Court is in the medieval era manor house.
- The gardens with rare plants.
- There is also a church which was built in the 11th century.
- Vintage and classic car shows are also held sometimes.
- There is a watermill in the middle of the village.
- You can enjoy a day out in the Occombe Farm.
Cockington Country Park Travel Tips
- The walk along the whole park will take atleast 2 hours, so it is preferable that you have enough time in hand.
- Make sure the rare plants are not touched.
- Check the timings prior to the visit as they are subject to changes sometimes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Cockington Country Park
- Admission is free to the village park.
Cockington Country Park Hours
- The park is open everyday of the year.
How to Reach Cockington Country Park
- By car from Plaignton to Livermead hotel. Car parkings are only allowed from 07:00 am to 07:00 pm.
- You can opt for bus service no. 62
- Coaches must stop outside the village on Herbert Road
- Trains are available as well.
- Wheelchair access is also possible.
- The Drumms Inn
- The Weaver’s tea shop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Torquay before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Torquay and book an accommodation of your choice.
33.76% of people who visit Torquay include Cockington Country Park in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
91.2% of people start their Cockington Country Park visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Cockington Country Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cockington Country Park