Meadfoot BeachCurrently Open [Closes at 04:00 pm]
- Address: Torquay, Devon, TQ1 2EL, United Kingdom
- Timings: 11:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: 01-803294339
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Beach, Walking Area, Leisure
A mile from Torquay Harbour, there is a marvelous stretch of sand, the Meadfoot Beach is a long sandy beach where you can relax on a deckchair and enjoy the roar of the sea hitting your ears. If you are more of an activity person, you will be glad to know that this beach is also famous for diving and fishing or you can just take a walk along the sand stretch with beach houses lined on the side. The south west coastal path lies on the hillside and is an easy access for everyone.
The Meadfoot beach is a graveled stretch, bellow a line of stunning cliffs. It is the perfect place for people who want to relax and soak themselves in the beauty of nature. Thatcher rock and Brixham are visible on the opposite side of the bay.
The clean water of the sea seems as blue as the clear sky. The Meadfoot Beach has been designated with more than one awards given its scenic beauty. It has received The Good Beach Guide Award, The Blue Fag Award and The Seaside Award.
This beach is commonly used by locals and so is quieter than all other beaches in torquay.
Ther are 4 fishing spots here-
- Thunderhole- it is a little difficult here because it needs a little bit of climbing efforts
- The centre of the beach- near the half circled piece of land there. It is the best place for fishing during winters.
- The launch ramp- this place is the best suited at times of high tide. You just have to be careful with the few high rocks here.
- Far end of the beach- this place is extremely rocky bt an ideal fishing spot
Fish catches depends on the seasons. The common varieties that can be caught here are- mackerel, garfish, dogfish, whiting, Pollock and wrasse. The rare fish types are- conger, cod, bass, black beam, red mullet, smooth hound.
- The best time for fishing is during the winters.
- Dogs are not allowed during summers.
- High tides are risky and dangerous.
- There are lots of stony climbs.
- Follow the warning sign which warns you from climbing the cliffs due to thunderhole.
- Come as early as possible as there is a scarcity of parking space on the road.
- Toilets are only seasonally available.
- Deckchairs are easily available.
- There are first aid rooms also.
- Shower facilities are available.
- You can also hire water sport equipments here.
- The famous Osborne Hotel is just above the beach so you should enjoy a lunch on its terrace. It is really exciting.
- The Agatha Christie Mile is just nearby. This is where the famous author used to swim and dance. There is also the hotel where she first went with her husband and you can also get to know more about her life here.
- Admission is free.
- Bus no. x85 to Meadfoot bay stop.
- Bus no. 32 to Meadfoot Bay stop.
- The Meadfoot Beach cafe
- The Back Room at the Meadfoot Inn
- Cotton Eyed Joe’s
- Hooks Bar & Grill
- Hennessey Restaurant ansCoctails Lounge
- Simla Spice
- Ephesus Torquay
- Orange Tree Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Torquay before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Torquay and book an accommodation of your choice.
19.15% of people who visit Torquay include Meadfoot Beach in their plan
95% of people start their Meadfoot Beach visit around 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Meadfoot Beach
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Meadfoot Beach
People normally also visit Triton Galleries while planning their trip to Meadfoot Beach.
Great location especially on a beautiful sunny day! As the sign says meals are individually prepared on ordering and this takes time. If you are in a rush this is probably not the place for you. On the other hand individual preparation produced most excellent food! Well worth the wait.
Quick, efficient service. Food well sourced and prepared. Coffee(latte) excellent. Overall well worth a visit for breakfast or lunch,oh yes! The view is stupendous. Thanks Helen for a very worthwhile and satisfying experience. Will definitely be a regular from now on
Really nice place, great views (if you can get an outside table, all reserved when we went). It's pizza night on a Wednesday and fish and chips on a Friday. Quite pricey for what it is, but I'm guessing that the rent is not cheap with those spectacular views.
Great for coffee, snacks, cooked breakfasts, ice cream. And Wednesday pizza evenings are great! Super friendly and helpful staff and a great location.
A lovely hot mug of tea overlooking the sea. Beautiful view😊😊