Basilique Saint Sernin1417 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Place Saint-Sernin, 31000 Toulouse, France
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-561218045
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
St. Sernin was the first Bishop of Tolosa (as it was known in the 3rd century), and he was murdered by a mob here for his steadfast refusal to pray to pagan gods. The site of his burial became a popular stopping point for pilgrims over the years, enough that a Romanesque was consecrated on the site in 1096. Some Gothic and Baroque additions were made such over the centuries, but the church as generally been allowed to retain its original influence.
The church is absolutely brilliant; its harmonious Romanesque architecture immensely pleasing to the eye. It looks grand enough from the outside; from the inside, it’s absolutely tranquil and solemn…not to mention a visual delight what with its many, many decorations. The religious art is moving, the stained glass is stunning and the small curiosities everywhere are a pleasure to hunt down.
Basilique Saint Sernin Hours
- For Crypts and Ambulatory, June to September (Monday to Saturday) 10 am to 6 pm; Sundays 11:30 am to 6 pm.
- October to May (Monday to Saturday) 10 am to 12 pm and 2 am to 5:30 pm; Sundays 2 pm to 5:30 pm.
How to Reach Basilique Saint Sernin
- Metro: Compans Caffarelli (Line B) and Jeanne d’Arc (Line B).
- Le Saint Sauvage
- Le Mange Tout
- 7 Place Saint Sernin
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Toulouse before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Toulouse and book an accommodation of your choice.
88.73% of people who visit Toulouse include Basilique Saint Sernin in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
83.46% of people start their Basilique Saint Sernin visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Basilique Saint Sernin
59.42% of people prefer walking in order to reach Basilique Saint Sernin