Cathedrale St-gatienCurrently Closed
- Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 37000 Tours, France
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-247702100
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Cathedrale St-gatien - Review
The Cathedral St-Gatien is a Roman Catholic Church in the city of Tours which is devoted to the first bishop of Tours, Saint Gatien. The cathedral is a must visit tourist attraction, although it is hidden inside the city and is very easy to miss. It has also a rather interesting history as it has been burnt down and rebuilt twice, most popularly as a result of the conflict between Henry II of England and Louis VII of France. The major highlights include:
- The Cathedral St-Gatien is a classic example of a mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture.
- The magnificent stained glass windows each of which tell an interesting story.
- A 16th century organ which had been donated by Martin de Beaune.
- A small cloister towards the north of the cathedral that had been constructed during the Renaissance.
- The tomb of the children of Anne de Bretagne and Charles VIII.
The cathedral is a short walk from the centre of the town and is located at the end of Rue Colbert which contains a number of restaurants to satisfy your hungry stomachs after the extensive tour of the cathedral.
Cathedrale St-gatien Information
- Carry a pair of binoculars into the cathedral so as to better see the intricate details on the stained glass panels.
- There is no entrance charge to the cathedral, however, there is a 3 euro charge to enter into the inner cloisters of the cathedral.
Restaurants Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Le Saint Honore
- Cuisine et Gourmandises
- Au Lapin Qui Fume
- Cap Sud
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Tours before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tours and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Cathedrale St-gatien
95% of people who visit Tours include Cathedrale St-gatien in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
69.95% of people start their Cathedrale St-gatien visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedrale St-gatien
61.9% of people prefer walking in order to reach Cathedrale St-gatien
1) Look at the top of the twin tower. They have a pair of eyes and an angelic face that look like guardians of peace. 2) The ceiling of the huge entrance doors were made of different figurines. What an amazing layout! 3) The stained glass inside were really pretty. It is a must-visit place of interest in Tours. One of the best cathedral around inside and outside.
The lightshow was amasing! Would love to see it again! Especially the ending when the music starts to play! There are two performances per night throughout the summer, but the start time changes. I would recommend checking the times on the notice board in front of the church.
Excellent cathedral. Not much crowd. Calm and Good for photos. In the night, marvellous light show : Illusion.
Wonderful Cathedral in Tours. The stain glass is wonderful and you can appreciate the artists skill through the many storyboards.
we saw the belfry behind building, so we took it as a mark, walk to it. after many allies, a huge cathedral suddenly in our front. we feel it's more great than it shall be. it's a surprise when you walk around the Tours.