Cathedrale St-gatien1134 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 37000 Tours, France Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-247702100
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
The Cathedral St-Gatien is a Roman Catholic Church in the city of Tours which is devoted to the first bishop of Tours, Saint Gatien. The cathedral is a must visit tourist attraction, although it is hidden inside the city and is very easy to miss. It has also a rather interesting history as it has been burnt down and rebuilt twice, most popularly as a result of the conflict between Henry II of England and Louis VII of France. The major highlights include:
- The Cathedral St-Gatien is a classic example of a mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture.
- The magnificent stained glass windows each of which tell an interesting story.
- A 16th century organ which had been donated by Martin de Beaune.
- A small cloister towards the north of the cathedral that had been constructed during the Renaissance.
- The tomb of the children of Anne de Bretagne and Charles VIII.
The cathedral is a short walk from the centre of the town and is located at the end of Rue Colbert which contains a number of restaurants to satisfy your hungry stomachs after the extensive tour of the cathedral.
Cathedrale St-gatien Travel Tips
- Carry a pair of binoculars into the cathedral so as to better see the intricate details on the stained glass panels.
- There is no entrance charge to the cathedral, however, there is a 3 euro charge to enter into the inner cloisters of the cathedral.
- Le Saint Honore
- Cuisine et Gourmandises
- Au Lapin Qui Fume
- Cap Sud
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tours before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tours and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Cathedrale St-gatien Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 37000 Tours, France
- Cathedrale St-gatien Contact Number: +33-247702100
- Cathedrale St-gatien Timing: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Best time to visit Cathedrale St-gatien(preferred time): 11:00 am - 02:00 pm
- Time required to visit Cathedrale St-gatien: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
95% of people who visit Tours include Cathedrale St-gatien in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
69.95% of people start their Cathedrale St-gatien visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedrale St-gatien
61.9% of people prefer walking in order to reach Cathedrale St-gatien
People normally club together Rue Nationale and Loire Valley Time Travel Day Tours while planning their visit to Cathedrale St-gatien.