About Cathedrale St-gatien, Tours
The Cathedral St-Gatien is a Roman Catholic Church in the city of Tours which is devoted to the first bishop of Tours, Saint Gatien. The cathedral is a must visit tourist attraction, although it is hidden inside the city and is very easy to miss. It has also a rather interesting history as it has been burnt down and rebuilt twice, most popularly as a result of the conflict between Henry II of England and Louis VII of France. The major highlights include:
- The Cathedral St-Gatien is a classic example of a mix of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture.
- The magnificent stained glass windows each of which tell an interesting story.
- A 16th century organ which had been donated by Martin de Beaune.
- A small cloister towards the north of the cathedral that had been constructed during the Renaissance.
- The tomb of the children of Anne de Bretagne and Charles VIII.
The cathedral is a short walk from the centre of the town and is located at the end of Rue Colbert which contains a number of restaurants to satisfy your hungry stomachs after the extensive tour of the cathedral.
Cathedrale St-gatien Information
- Carry a pair of binoculars into the cathedral so as to better see the intricate details on the stained glass panels.
- There is no entrance charge to the cathedral, however, there is a 3 euro charge to enter into the inner cloisters of the cathedral.
Restaurants Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Le Saint Honore
- Cuisine et Gourmandises
- Au Lapin Qui Fume
- Cap Sud
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Tours before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tours and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 37000 Tours, France
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 8.4K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Cathedrale St-gatien Tickets And Tours
Enjoy a small group tour in the heart of the Royal Valley: see three of the major chateaux of the region and taste some excellent local wines. Today you will visit Blois, once siege of power, Cheverny, the quintessence of French furniture and Chambord, a dream come true, and have lunch on King Francis I's wine.
Enjoy a small group day tour in the heart of the Royal Valley: tour three of the major chateaux of the region and taste some of the excellent local wines. Today you will discover Chenonceau, also called the Â«Ladies' chÃ¢teauÂ», the Amboise Royal Castle, residence of Francois I, Leonardo Da Vinci in le Clos LucÃ© and have lunch with matured Loire Valley wines.
Discover the Loire Valley and visit its 2 most prestigious castles in one great day: impressive ChÃ¢teau de Chambord and stunning Chenonceau. Learn about the intimate little secrets of the French Kings who once lived there. Enjoy off-the-crowd panoramic views thanks to your local guide, benefit from wealth of thrilling genuine details and funny anecdotes and make the most of this exciting day. One of the highlights will definitely be a restful lunch away from tourist groups in a beautiful privately-owned castle still inhabited by the family.
The cathedral is wonderful, you should make sure you come during the evening to the light show, which is designed to match the settings.
Beautiful cathedral which is one of the reasons we visited Tours. Very calm and charming neighbourhood.
Enjoyed my brief visit during the day. If I had more time, I could have read the descriptions of more of the stained glass windows. Climbing the towers is off limits, but you can visit the cloisters for 3 euros. I heard that the church is supposed to look equally nice during the night with the illuminations. So I visited again the same night. However, it was not illuminated that night. Maybe they only do it on certain dates.
It is a marvellously beautiful place that is also free to visit.
Very nice gotic cathedral. Not crowd and good for shoot photos.
- Nearby Attractions
- Escape Yourself
- Cloister Of La Psalette
- Le Gros Bar
- Chateau De Valmer
- Strapontin Cafe
- Museum D'historie Naturelle De Tours
- Gadawi Park
- Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- 5 Star Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Budget Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Cheap Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Luxury Hotels Near Cathedrale St-gatien
- Tours Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Tours
- 2 Days in Tours
- 3 Days in Tours
- 4 Days in Tours
- 5 Days in Tours
- 6 Days in Tours
- 7 Days in Tours