Cloister Of La Psalette261 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 7 Rue de la Psalette, 37000 Tours, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-247470519
- Ticket Price: 3 EUR
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Library, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
As the name translates, the Cloister of la Psalette is an ancient choir cloister that is showcases the historical legacy of Tours. Located to the north of the Saint Gatien Cathedral, the choir cloister dates back to the Middle Ages. It is constitutes of three galleries that reflect ornate elements of the Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture. It was also considered to be the rehearsal hall for practicing spiritual and religious chants. The must-see places at the cloister are as follows:
- A charming spiral staircase that leads to the Scriptorium (the centre of manuscript creation) and dates back to 1520.
- The library which is located beneath the west gallery and is an aesthetically arched room that had been completed in 1460.
- The north gallery that had been built in 1508 that contains a small oratory which comprises of fragments of a fresco showcasing the Massacre of the Innocents.
- A medieval wall painting depicting the flight from Egypt.
- A modern stained glass painting from the 1960s.
- The well preserved gargoyles which make for excellent photographic locations.
The Cloister of la Psalette gives stunningly detailed views of the side of Cathedral St-Gatien. It makes you revisit history and grab a few moments of peace and tranquility in the midst of the chaos of the city.
Cloister Of La Psalette Travel Tips
- Tours of the Cloister of la Psalette are conducted by national museum guides and these guided individual and group tours must be booked in advance.
- The museum also provides unaccompanied tours with guide booklets that are available in French, English, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.
Entrance Ticket Details For Cloister Of La Psalette
- 2, 50 €: People from 18-25 years (except European residents
- 2, 80 €: Groups of 20 or more
- 20 €: School groups (Maximum 35 persons)
- Visitors under the age of 18.
- 18 - 25 years old residents of the European Area.
- Teachers of art, art history, and the applied arts.
- Holders of the "Pass Education" (primary and secondary school teachers in French public schools and private schools receiving government subsidies).
- Artists affiliated to the Maison des Artistes (in France) or to the AIAP (Association Internationale des Arts Plastiques).
- Unemployed individuals and visitors receiving benefits (proof of entitlement must be dated within the last six months).
- Disabled visitors and their guest or helper.
- Journalists (with a valid press card).
How to Reach Cloister Of La Psalette
- The central railway station Gare de Tours is just 1.4 kilometres away from the Cloister of la Psalette.
- Le Laurenty
- Le petit patrimoine
- Restaurant Cathedrale Strasbourg
- Martinez Valerie
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tours before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tours and book an accommodation of your choice.
27.62% of people who visit Tours include Cloister Of La Psalette in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
69.88% of people start their Cloister Of La Psalette visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Cloister Of La Psalette
76.92% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cloister Of La Psalette