Tralee- meaning ‘Strand of the Lee (River)’ is located to the south-west of Ireland at the base of an ancient roadway that leads south of the Slieve Mish Mountains. It is the largest town in Kerry County and is located along the confluence of small rivers which form a marshy ground at the Tralee Bay. The town offers an intimate experience that no official Tralee tourist information guide can offer.
Soaked in history, the city of Tralee has played a pivotal role in the Irish Independence war (Also referred to as the Black and Tan War) and Civil war. The Black and Tan war still holds an iconic position in Ireland’s stories of power, reign and revolution. The town was under a strong reign of the Earls of Desmond but was burned in 1580 due in retribution of the Desmond Rebellions against Elizabeth I. In 1587 Tralee was granted to Edward Denny by Elizabeth I, but the Dennys occupied the Castle of the Earl of Desmond in 1627.
The present day layout of the city was carved out in the 19th century. Today, Tralee is one of Ireland’s proudest landmarks – showing a strange melange of World History, Irish-Gothic Architecture, Music and Technology all seeped in Ireland’s scenic beauty and rooted in its deep culture.
Tralee is known for its rich platter of museums, historic monuments, legendary and iconic stories, modernised restaurants, pubs, clubs and more so for its scenic beauty and proximity to the west coast of Ireland- giving tourists a wide variety of activities to choose from during their stay. Plan your Tralee travel itinerary to accommodate all the flavours that Tralee has to offer.
Tralee tourism is known for offering some of the best highlights of Keryy County.
Essential travel information and Tralee tips for your visit
- It is best advised to explore the town on foot to take in the small intimate spots that Tralee has to offer.
- Do try the Wild Atlantic Way tours which are an Ireland highlight.
- Staying at the heart of the city is recommended but rented car is preferred to explore the west coasts and outskirts.
- Tralee receives rainfall almost throughout the year. Carry your umbrella every day.
- While in Tralee, visit the central town square. The place is buzzing after dark and the pubs offer a perfect nightlife.
Tralee Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Tralee. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Tralee trip planner.