Blennerville Windmill472 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Windmill Lane, Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +35-3667121064
- Fax: +353-0667127444
- Ticket Price: 5 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Gallery, View Point, Restaurant, Family And Kids, Specialty Shop, Windmill, Landmarks, Buildings And Structures
Located in Tralee Bay, Blennerville Windmill was built by Sir Rowland Blennerhassett in 1800. The windmill was used to grind corn for both the local population and for export to Britain. In the middle of 19th Century, the windmill fell into ruins due to introduction of steam power, silting of the Blennerville river channel and the building of the Fenit Harbour in 1880. In 1984 reconstruction of the windmill began and by 1990 it was completely restored.
The windmill is also significant as a port of emigration for Kerry County during the Great Famine. Today, the windmill stands strong and is one of the star-attractions of the town.
Highlights of the windmill tower include:
- Visitor Centre which includes an exhibition gallery, craft shop and restaurant.
- The famous Coffin Ships displayed at the Visitor centre.
- Bird-watching platform overlooking 'Sií na nEan' ('the Way of the Birds').
Blennerville Windmill Travel Tips
- Adult €5; Child €3; Student/Senior €4; Family €15 (2 adults & 3 children); Children of 5 years and under have free entry.
- Group rates available. Details on request.
- The spot is not recommended for visits during December.
How to Reach Blennerville Windmill
- Train: Tralee Train Station
- Bus: Tralee Bus Station
- Ristorante Uno
- Il Pomo Doro Tralee Restaurant
- Four Star Pizza Tralee
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tralee before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tralee and book an accommodation of your choice.
83.39% of people who visit Tralee include Blennerville Windmill in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
43.64% of people start their Blennerville Windmill visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Blennerville Windmill
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Blennerville Windmill