In 1957, a young curator Fr Pat Ahern was sent to Kerry to establish a choir at St.John’s Chruch in Tralee. The choir received tremendous admirors and soon the Friar decided to explore more opportunities. They called themselves Siamsóirí na Ríochta.
The choir preserved some of the folk music and dance like ‘Munnix’ which would have disappeared otherwise. This was noted as one of the pivotal roles of the choir which resulted in the formation of the Siamsa Theatre.
The name ‘Siamsa’ is pronounced as ‘Shee-am-sa’ which means mirth and music, while ‘tire’ means ‘land’. Officially opened in 1991, the centre is a combined effort of Pat Ahern, Martin Whelan and architect Patrick O’Sullivan.
Today the Siamsa Tire stands strong while still functioning to offer platforms for artists from all over Ireland. The ‘Festival of Folk’ held annually is a major attraction here.
Tourists love to catch a show here to have an intimate experience with the art culture in Tralee.
Siamsa Tire Travel Tips
- Book the tickets only on the official site.
- Tickets once books cannot be exchanged or refunded. Refunds are made only for show cancellations.
- Arrive on time as latecomers are not admitted inside until there is a break in the performance.
- Wheelchair spaces are available on request during booking.
- Photography and/or Video Recording are not permitted during performances.
Entrance Ticket Details For Siamsa Tire
- Ticketing process will vary widely as per the show you watch.
- Do visit the official website to choose a show and know its ticket prices.
How to Reach Siamsa Tire
- Bus: Tralee Bus Station
- Rose Travel
- Train: Tralee Train Station
- Il Pomo Doro Tralee Restaurant
- Four Star Pizza Tralee
- Finnegan's Restaurant & Wine Cellar
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tralee before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tralee and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Tralee include Siamsa Tire in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
59.06% of people start their Siamsa Tire visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Siamsa Tire
90.93% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Siamsa Tire