Cathedral Of TrierCurrently Closed
- Address: Liebfrauenstrabe 12, 54290 Trier, Germany
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-6519790790
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
The High Cathedral of Saint Peter in Trier is the oldest cathedral in Germany. Listed as part of the Roman Monuments in 1986, the cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Its structure was constructed during multiple eras and each era has contributed to its design in some way. Today, it houses a significant collection of artworks, architecture and holy relics. Built above a former palace from the era of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, the cathedral still exhibits the remains of the first basilica. Inside the cathedral, you shall be able to see:
- Romanesque interior with baroque decoration and Gothic vaulting and archways.
- A set of triple-nave, two-choir basilica with a transept and six towers.
- The central section where the original walls rise up to a height of 26m. Huge fragment of granite column from Constantine’s church.
- There is a magnificent Romanesque tympanum over the south door which depicts Christ between Virgin Mary and St. Peter.
- Tomb of papal envoy Ivo in the south aisle that carries Romanesque carvings of a dragon-like creature and a human head peaking out.
- The central attraction is the Holy Robe of Christ.
- The Treasury which displays an important relic Holy Nail which is believed to be one of those used in the crucifixion.
- Exhibits such as Chalices, Bishop’s treasures and the 10th century St. Andrew’s Altar.
- On the way out, you shall be able to see graffiti from seven centuries and the elaborate West Portal.
- During the services and concerts it is not possible to visit the Cathedral.
- You can also take a guided tour through the excavations under the Cathedral.
- Guided tours for Adult : € 4.50
- Guided tours for families (2 adults + up to 4 children) : € 9.50
- Nearest bus stop: Trier Domfreihof
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trier and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Trier include Cathedral Of Trier in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
30.14% of people start their Cathedral Of Trier visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedral Of Trier
57.23% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedral Of Trier
Trier is my most favourite city in Germany. It is Germany's oldest city and holds a lot of history, great architecture all within cute little streets and houses..Great dining, shopping. Relaxing. Christmas Markt here is the best!
Lots of shops restaurants and interesting places to see. Love to visit places with historical buildings. Not far from Luxemburg .
Amazing Church. Was built and rebuilt for 800 year. Very cool.
Wow.. Stunning outside and inside. Didn't see it coming until we turned the corner. Some much history and going on, it will hurt your head especially if you have come from the Roman gate. Not much information in English and there are tours but in German only. Tried to use the cathedral web site but again information is limited to the major items. For instance what is the sculptured pole close to the altar and who is buried in the vault under the alter?? What is the fresco on part of the walls? But saying all that, love these buildings and the intricate detail that people under 2,000 years ago took time and talent to complete.
Such a beautiful cathedral made of marble and stone ! Highly recommend visiting !