Cathedral Of Trier
About Cathedral Of Trier, Trier
The High Cathedral of Saint Peter in Trier is the oldest cathedral in Germany. Listed as part of the Roman Monuments in 1986, the cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Its structure was constructed during multiple eras and each era has contributed to its design in some way. Today, it houses a significant collection of artworks, architecture and holy relics. Built above a former palace from the era of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, the cathedral still exhibits the remains of the first basilica. Inside the cathedral, you shall be able to see:
- Romanesque interior with baroque decoration and Gothic vaulting and archways.
- A set of triple-nave, two-choir basilica with a transept and six towers.
- The central section where the original walls rise up to a height of 26m. Huge fragment of granite column from Constantine’s church.
- There is a magnificent Romanesque tympanum over the south door which depicts Christ between Virgin Mary and St. Peter.
- Tomb of papal envoy Ivo in the south aisle that carries Romanesque carvings of a dragon-like creature and a human head peaking out.
- The central attraction is the Holy Robe of Christ.
- The Treasury which displays an important relic Holy Nail which is believed to be one of those used in the crucifixion.
- Exhibits such as Chalices, Bishop’s treasures and the 10th century St. Andrew’s Altar.
- On the way out, you shall be able to see graffiti from seven centuries and the elaborate West Portal.
Cathedral Of Trier Information
- During the services and concerts it is not possible to visit the Cathedral.
- You can also take a guided tour through the excavations under the Cathedral.
Cathedral Of Trier Tickets Prices
- Guided tours for Adult : € 4.50
- Guided tours for families (2 adults + up to 4 children) : € 9.50
How To Get To Cathedral Of Trier by Public Transport
- Nearest bus stop: Trier Domfreihof
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trier and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Liebfrauenstrabe 12, 54290 Trier, Germany
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 5K times in trip plans
Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Cathedral Of Trier Tickets And Tours
Discover Trier, one of Germanyâs oldest cities, at your leisure on a City Sightseeing hop-on hop-off tour. As you explore the city by open-top double-decker bus, put together your own day of sightseeing and visit the places that interest you most. Hear about standout sights from the audio commentary, and pay visits to Konstantin Basilika, Karl Marx Haus and Trier Roman Amphitheater among other attractions. The tour ticket is valid for 24 hours from first use.
Trier is home to many old monuments and buildings and boasts a unique history in picturesque surroundings. It is also the birthplace of the influential philosopher and revolutionary Karl Marx. On this engrossing tour, you will be exploring all the top destinations and attractions in the city including places such as the Karl-Marx-Haus, the Porta Nigra and the Barbarathermen.
Make your way to the small wine village of Kesten for an eBike rental (from 8am-8pm) and bike through the near romantic Bernkastel-Kues in the Moselle wine region. You can e-bike along the Moselle river with a lot of slopes or ride easily uphill because of the e-support.
Share your experience - Rate Cathedral Of Trier, Trier
Nice example of baroque culture. A bit messy in eclectic interior styling as a result of its long history, but containing beautiful details. Look for the tympanum on the right wall, the lionheads supporting pillars on the same wall and enjoy the idyllic gallery-surrounded inner garden behind the right-wall exit.
Beautiful church! Worth a visit! Such a marvelous piece of construction! Free to enter!
Absolutely fantastic place, one of the most beautiful Dome I`ve seen in Germany. It is a must to visit in the beauties of Trier
Absolutely breathtaking and they let you go up to the chapel they built for the Seamless Robe of Jesus. Definitely a spiritual moment and a gorgeous piece of history, must see!
Very beautiful a must see sight in Trier, I was very impressed.
- Nearby Attractions
- Mosel River
- Roman Temple District, Tawern
- Church Of St. Gangolf
- St. Paulinus' Church
- Kornmarkt Square
- St. Mary's Column
- House Of The Three Magi
- Jews' Alley
- ' The Devil In Trier ' Performance At Franco's Tower
- Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- 5 Star Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- Budget Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- Cheap Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- Luxury Hotels Near Cathedral Of Trier
- Trier Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Trier
- 2 Days in Trier
- 3 Days in Trier
- 4 Days in Trier
- 5 Days in Trier
- 6 Days in Trier
- 7 Days in Trier