Cathedral Of Trier788 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Liebfrauenstrabe 12, 54290 Trier, Germany
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-6519790790
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
The High Cathedral of Saint Peter in Trier is the oldest cathedral in Germany. Listed as part of the Roman Monuments in 1986, the cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Its structure was constructed during multiple eras and each era has contributed to its design in some way. Today, it houses a significant collection of artworks, architecture and holy relics. Built above a former palace from the era of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, the cathedral still exhibits the remains of the first basilica. Inside the cathedral, you shall be able to see:
- Romanesque interior with baroque decoration and Gothic vaulting and archways.
- A set of triple-nave, two-choir basilica with a transept and six towers.
- The central section where the original walls rise up to a height of 26m. Huge fragment of granite column from Constantine’s church.
- There is a magnificent Romanesque tympanum over the south door which depicts Christ between Virgin Mary and St. Peter.
- Tomb of papal envoy Ivo in the south aisle that carries Romanesque carvings of a dragon-like creature and a human head peaking out.
- The central attraction is the Holy Robe of Christ.
- The Treasury which displays an important relic Holy Nail which is believed to be one of those used in the crucifixion.
- Exhibits such as Chalices, Bishop’s treasures and the 10th century St. Andrew’s Altar.
- On the way out, you shall be able to see graffiti from seven centuries and the elaborate West Portal.
Cathedral Of Trier Travel Tips
- During the services and concerts it is not possible to visit the Cathedral.
- You can also take a guided tour through the excavations under the Cathedral.
Entrance Ticket Details For Cathedral Of Trier
- Guided tours for Adult : € 4.50
- Guided tours for families (2 adults + up to 4 children) : € 9.50
How to Reach Cathedral Of Trier
- Nearest bus stop: Trier Domfreihof
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Trier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trier and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Trier include Cathedral Of Trier in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
30.14% of people start their Cathedral Of Trier visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedral Of Trier
57.23% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedral Of Trier