Church Of Our LadyCurrently Closed
- Address: Liebfrauenstraße 2, 54290 Trier, Germany
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-651170790
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Church, Family And Kids
This Church was built in the 13th century and is the oldest Gothic church in Germany. Separated from Trier Cathedral by a narrow passageway, the church is seen as a foil to its older Romanesque neighbour. The features of this Church are:
- Its floor-plan which resembles a twelve-petaled rose which is further a symbol of Virgin Mary.
- You can see twelve supporting columns which carry the paintings of apostles and twelve articles of Apostle’s creed from one spot which is marked by a black stone.
- High windows which allow natural light to enter in.
- Tomb of a local nobleman, Karl Von Matternich(1636), in the northeast chapel.
- You can also look at beautiful cloisters with sculptures and tombs behind the church.
- Nearest bus stop: Trier Treveris
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trier and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Trier include Church Of Our Lady in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
37.2% of people start their Church Of Our Lady visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Church Of Our Lady
57.21% of people prefer walking in order to reach Church Of Our Lady
Very beautifull church, with a very interesting story and a lot of diferent architectures stiles captured along the years it has. Loved the visit.
Early Gothic church next too, and by many confused for, the Trierer Dom. Shaped as a rose this is a very spacious big church. Most of the detail is in the architectural decorations. Unique ensemble together with later Dom.
Spectacular, especially the stained glass windows !
Absolutely marvellous cathedral with a fort like structure but housing one of the most elegant , beautiful, artistic and well preserved interiors I have ever seen ; the place is grand and seeped in history. It has two cathedrals to start with. The more prominent and bigger one is to the left and is really massive , the interior hall is grand and has some amazing sculpture. You can go all the way the altar to see the original seamless robe of Christ. Surreal experience. The hall also has a yard that is right adjacent and has some tombs perched in a garden. extremely aesthetic setting. The smaller one is extremely modern ( checking glass panels ) , newer and very beautiful, when we went in, it had some soulful choir music playing and the way the whole setting was done , it was very touching and an ideal place to spend few mins with yourself, or God or universe or whoever you believe in. This place, with the beautiful square in front is an absolute must do if you are in this side of the country.
After visiting the porta nigra, which has an interesting history but isn't as interesting as a building, I wasn't expecting to see such a beautiful church. From an artistic point of view this is probably one of the prettiest churches in Europe.