Porta NigraCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Porta-Nigra-Platz, 54290 Trier, Germany
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-651978080
- Ticket Price: 3 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Landmark, Ancient Ruin, Family And Kids
Porta Nigra - Review
One of the most visited historical monuments in Trier, Porta Nigra stands impressive with its massive structure. It is a large city gate in Trier and is today the largest Roman city gate north of the Alps. The origin of its name in the Medieval Ages was due to its weathered dark colour of the stone. An unfinished project of its own time, the gate, nonetheless, was used for several centuries till the end of Roman era as an entrance to the town. Porta Nigra was designated as a World Heritage site in 1986. Its present appearance is the result of reconstruction done under the regime of Napoleon. The features of Porta Nigra are:
- On the south side, you can see the remains of Roman Columns. They give an impression of the Roman Street which they must have served as originally.
- An upper floor where the actors portray the character of a centurion, a Roman army officer, in full sartorial set up.
- Stone blocks, of which the biggest weigh up to six metric tons.
Porta Nigra Information
- Last admission 30 minutes before closing
Porta Nigra Ticket Prices
- Children below the age of 17: € 2.00
- Family(2 adults with a maximum of 4 children over age 6): € 6.00
How To reach Porta Nigra by Public Transport
- Nearest bus stop: Porta Nigra
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trier and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Porta Nigra
95% of people who visit Trier include Porta Nigra in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
47.28% of people start their Porta Nigra visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Porta Nigra
61.58% of people prefer walking in order to reach Porta Nigra
Porta Nigra Trips
3 Views2 Days 1 Night2 Day Trip to Trier, Luxemburg City, Bitburg from BademBy: Guest UserCity: Bitburg, Trier, Luxemburg City
Porta Nigra, Trier Reviews
Great location across from Porta Nigra. You're about a 5 mi ute walk from great restaurants and shops. The rooms are decent size, clean and relatively quiet.
Fantastic location and good quality hotel with nice rooms and helpful friendly staff. Secure car parking 12 euro a night underneath the hotel. Awesome view from windows on hotel front.
Excellent breakfast with variety, clean, helpfull staff and rooms with a nice city view.
Very good. Clean. High room standard. Excellent breakfast.
A very comfortable room. A good choice at the breakfast buffet. Pleasant staff.