Miramare CastleCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Viale Miramare, 34151 Trieste, Italy
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-040224143
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Educational Site, Castle, Historical Site, Entertainment, Family And Kids, Fort, Neighborhoods , Heritage Building
Miramare Castle - Review
The Castle of Miramare and its Park were built by Ferdinand Maximilian of Hapsburg who decided to have a residence befitting his rank built on the outskirts of Trieste, facing the sea and surrounded by a lush garden. The castle is breathtaking to say the least and the surrounding gardens add to the unadulterated beauty. The remarkable architecture of the Castle is the amalgamation of Gothic, medieval and Renaissance styles and reflects the eclectic taste of the Archduke. Franz Hoffman was entrusted with the decoration of the house and did a brilliant job with the furnishings and the styling of the mansion. The view on top of the castle is absolutely spell binding. All in all, the castle and the grounds are immaculately preserved and offer a peak into royal homes of the past.
The museum inside the castle holds many of the original furnishings, ornaments and objects that date back to the mid 19th Century and showcases the well preserved living quarters of the family. There is an information room that depicts the history of the castle and the park's construction. All the rooms still feature the original furnishings, ornaments, furniture and objects dating back to the middle of the 19th century. Particularly noteworthy are the music room and a series of paintings by Cesare dell'Acqua depicting the history of Miramare. Lastly, visitors can also see the throne room, which has gone through a recent refurbishment.
Miramare Castle Information
- Disabled access and parking available.
- It is possible to book the entry to the castle by calling: (+39) 0412770470
Miramare Castle Ticket Prices
- Reduced Ticket Price: 4 EUR (EU citizens aged 18 – 25 (with ID)EU teachers without their school group (with valid identification).
- Admission free for EU citizens under 18 (with ID). Under 12’s must be accompanied.
- Audio-guides in Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and Slovene for rent at the ticket office: € 3.50 (each) or € 5.00 (double). Duration: about one hour.
Miramare Castle Hours
- From November to February, from 4 pm and in March and October, from 5 pm, the Castle can be reached only through the main entrance (sea front – “Viale Miramare”).
- Park Opening Hours: April, May and September, 8 am – 6 pm
- March and October, 8 am – 5 pm
- November and December, 8 am – 3 pm
- January and February, 8 am – 4 pm
- June, July and August, 8 am – 7 pm
How To reach Miramare Castle by Public Transport
- Nearest Bus Stop: Venezia Giulia Strada Statale 14 (numero 9)
- Strada statale 14 Venezia Giulia (Princeps)
Restaurants Near Miramare Castle
- Principe di Metternich
- Molo Srl
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Trieste before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Trieste and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Miramare Castle
84.68% of people who visit Trieste include Miramare Castle in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
46.11% of people start their Miramare Castle visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Miramare Castle
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Miramare Castle
People normally club together Saint Spyridon Church Or Chiesa Serbo Ortodossa Di San Spiridione and Golfo Di Trieste while planning their visit to Miramare Castle.
Miramare Castle Trips
Miramare Castle, Trieste Reviews
Great place for a walk. I definitely recommend to visit castle park. In the park there you can get a coffee, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery around you. It is also possible to visit the castle itself where you can see around 20 rooms and you can see how the rooms were furnished in the past.
Very popular tourist attraction just outside of Trieste the building is very elegant and was built at the height of Austro-Hungarian wealth and power. There is a marine reserve here maintained by WWF so if you like to snorkel a guided tour can be booked. Try to do this well in advance as they are popular. The castle's stables host a range of arts events and had Manet's Execution of Maximilian during our visit. There isn't much parking in the area and it does get busy. All in all a pleasant afternoon trip from Trieste.
The castel entrance was free. Due to summer season the parking area was bit busy should wait for some time. The castle surrounding areas was beautiful for photo lovers. The park area was quite large. Their is a bar service provided for short refreshing. The service was good.
I like it so much because there were audio guides that you can take and you were told everything about the castle. The rooms were perfectly conserved and the paintings too. I liked so much the library and I recommend it, but the part that I preferred was the biggest garden that I have ever seen in Italy. It was like a park and you can have walks, go circling or simply look at the see that is the perfect frame of the complex. There is also a bar and an ice-cream shop. If you go to Trieste you will have to visit the castle and his gardens for sure. It will be an incredible experience.
Very interesting and well worth a visit. Marine area is protected so no swimming. Amazing views and very nice gardens and grounds.