Situated on an island south of Jaffna, Trincomalee is a major resort port city in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka that is famous for its finest beaches and beautiful coastlines. Perched on top of what is considered as one of the best harbors in the world, Trincomalee is a historic site that is full of interesting stories and surprising revelations. If you are looking for a place to destress and at the same time weigh lite on you, then Trincomalee is the best place to visit.
Get to know the pulse of the resort city by spending time in the paradise of a location of Uppuveli beach. Less commercialized and considered as one of the hidden gems of Trincomalee, Uppuveli beach is ideal to unwind and also consists of activities like swimming and snorkeling. Lover of machine guns and canons? Soak yourself in the naval museum of Hoods Tower Museum that is complete with war equipment from World War II. Head to the clifftop Koneswaram Temple which is popular among the devotees and seek the blessings of the divine before checking out the colonial Fort Frederick. Pay your respects at the burial ground of Trincomalee War Cemetery that carries the bodies of the Bravehearts. Finally, grab a refreshing glass of fresh toddy extracted from the sap of a palm tree and just sip in the liquid as you relax along the beach shore of Marble beach. Also, don't forget to taste fish that is fried as soon as it is caught from the bay.
Essential travel information and Trincomalee tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Indian Standard Time (IST). UTC/GMT +5.30hours.
- Currency: Currency used in Trincomalee is Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR).
- Electricity: The standard electrical voltage in Trincomalee is 230 Volts and 50 Hertz alternating current. The power socket type used is of type D, M, and G. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet: The availability of free Wi-Fi zones inside the city is very low. But the major hotels do provide free Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Languages: Sinhala is the widely spoken language by the people of Trincomalee. The other widely spoken languages include Tamil, Malay, and English.
- Police Emergency Service: 119
- Fire & Rescue: 111
- Ambulance: 110
- Tipping is not expected in Trincomalee. But if you are happy with the service, you can tip something between 5 and 10% of the bill.
- Do not wear clothes that expose yourself. Dress modestly.
- Remove your slippers and footwear before entering a mosque or a temple.
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Trincomalee
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 2.79 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 20.11 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 40.4 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 27.86 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.