The Polar Museum Or PolarmuseetCurrently Closed
- Address: Sondre Tollbodgate 11, 9008 Tromso, Norway
- Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +47-77623360
- Ticket Price: 60 NOK
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, History Museum, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Specialty Museum
The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet - Review
This museum is all about Norwegian catches, Arctic Science and Polar exhibitions. This museum is known mainly for the fantastic Roald Amundsen collection. It was built on 18th June, 1978 just 50 years after the famous explorer visited the city.
The museum is still housed in one of the oldest buildings of the city that formerly housed customs warehouses and sheds. The permanent collections of the museum include:
- Dutch Capture - These are the displays showing monuments and depicting the history of the Dutch hunters who were taken for whaling in Spitsbergen by Willem Barents in 1596.
- Arctic Overwintered - This area shows polar bears and winter foxes which form the main fauna species of the region.
- Pick Capture - This place depicts one of the main activities of the region which is sealing.
- Roald Amundsen - As mentioned earlier, this is the collection of memorabilia and photographs of the expeditions done by the explorer.
- Fritjof Nansen - Photos of expedition to the North Pole with “The Farm” within 1893- 1896.
The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet Ticket Prices
- Children (7- 18 years): NOK 30
- Family (2 adults + 2 children under 18years): NOK 120
- Students: NOK 30
- Seniors: NOK 30
- Special (Polarmuseet + Tromso Museum): NOK 80
Restaurants Near The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet
- Driv Cafe
- Ra Sushi & Bar
- Nino Perez AS
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Tromso before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tromso and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet
76.86% of people who visit Tromso include The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
75.3% of people start their The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet
88.89% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet
The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet Trips
1 View18 Days 17 Nights18 Day Trip to Athens, Santorini, Munich, Bergen, Tromso, Oslo from DullesBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Athens, Santorini, Munich, Bergen, Tromso, Oslo
The Polar Museum Or Polarmuseet, Tromso Reviews
Great museum to visit in Tromsø. It is very small but the panoramic cinema is amazing. I could watch a documentary about northern lights at it was very interesting. Also the tank with seals was very nice. There are several artic underwater animals to see behind a glass like fishes, sea-stars, anemone, etc. The first floor restaurant is very comfortable.
Amazing exhibition, covers all facettes of polar expedition, hunting, technology and history! I loved how detailed yet diverse the topics and rooms were equipped. Many exhibition objects were displayed and historical furniture was arranged to give a suiting ambient. I loved this 2 hour experience, for which I only paid 3€ as a student! It's a must see for Tromsø visits!
The building is small, but it's jam packed with interesting stuff....with each room covering a different aspect. While there is little English in the exhibit, the 10-12 page guide book provided a detailed description for the contents of each room. Well worth the entry fee!
Very interesting with some great exhibits. More use of English would make the museum more accessible to foreign visitors.
A must for those interested in polar research 110 years ago. Amundsen's and Nansen' s actual equipment etc.