Egyptian Museum Of Turin1334 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Via Accademia delle Scienze, 6, 10123 Torino, Italy, Turin
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Phone: 39011-561776
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, History Museums
“The road to Memphis and Thebes passes through Turin,” wroteJean-FrançoisChampollion, quite the pro at deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics, famously wrote.He wasn’t exaggerating – the Egyptian Museum of Turin is the only museum besides the Cairo museum that is dedicated solely to showcasing a collection of Egyptian art and culture. The museum’s archaeological excavations carried out between 1900-1920 yieldedartefacts which were divided between the excavators and Egypt, and these artefacts which have been enlarged and are displayed at the Museum today. The nucleus of the collection includes 300 pieces retrieved by botanist Vitaliano Donati from Egypt, as commissioned by King Charles Emmanuel III in 1753.
The collection is just priceless with a range of fascinating items inclusingAssemblea dei Re (Kings Assembly), a collection of statues representing all the kings of the New Kingdom, sacrogaphi, mummies and most startling of all – three copies of the ‘Egyptian Book of the Dead’, including the most ancient one. The illustrated version and the personal copy of the First Royal Architect Khaare on display for visitors but it so happens that the director of the Museum has been requested to remove the two copies of the book more than once and stock them away as the papyrus on which they inscribed is said to emanate "negative energy". The books remain on display till date.
Not particularly for the faint-hearted, is it? This museum is steeped in ancient history, a haven of fascinating information for anthropologists, Egyptologists and the average intrigued tourist alike.
Egyptian Museum Of Turin Travel Tips
- The Egyptian Museum joins the Ministry of Culture's (MiBAC) initiative that allows free entrance for those who visit the Egyptian Museum on their birthday! The celebrating visitor who has only to show a document which confirms his/her date of birth.
- There is no café in the premises so plan your meals accordingly.
- The Egyptian Museum is a 10-minute walk from Porta Nuova station, the main train station in Turin.
Entrance Ticket Details For Egyptian Museum Of Turin
- Reduced rates are available for - EUR 3.50 (between the ages of 18 and 25, senior citizens over 65, employed teachers)
- Free entry for children under 18; disabled persons; persons registered at Icom; journalists and servicemen and women; employees of the Ministry of Culture and Heritage; European Union students and professors who are studing Architecture, History, Cultural Heritage, Literature and Philosophy (only if attending archeological or historical-artistic courses), Educational Sciences, School of Fine Arts, Dams (Professors must show a document stating the subject he/she is teaching); owners of Abbonamenti Piemonte Musei and Torino Card.
- Il Cloud
- Cadran Solaire
- El Pan D'Na Volta SRL
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Turin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Turin and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.34% of people who visit Turin include Egyptian Museum Of Turin in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
54.51% of people start their Egyptian Museum Of Turin visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Egyptian Museum Of Turin
69.3% of people prefer walking in order to reach Egyptian Museum Of Turin