Museum Of National Cinema875 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Via Montebello, 20, Torino, Italy, Turin
- Timings: 09:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: 39011-8138511
- Ticket Price: 9 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Cinema, Family And Kids, Specialty Museums
What could be more blissful than a temporary suspension of reality? Museo Nazionale Del Cinema or the Museum of National Cinema in Turin, Italy, is made of the stuff of dreams forescapists and film lovers all over the world. A former synagogue that is now an Italian motion picture museum, it isfitted out rather peculiarly inside the Mole Antonelliana tower, a fascinating structure that is an architectural symbol of the city.
At the core of its collection lies the invaluable contribution of the historian and collector Maria Adriana Prolo that gave the museum the impetus to flourish by creating a sacred place where documents related to film could be preserved.The Museum of National Cinema is today an incredibly important contribution to cinema at an international level and is guaranteed to take you on a trip down the memory lane of cinema.The museum plays host to several festivals, the most prestigious of which is the Torino Film Festival.
A panoramic elevator with transparent glass walls within the museumruns in 59 seconds in a single span in a free fall without any intermediate floors, giving the viewer a breath-taking view of the whole museum from the top with the 300,000 posters on display, and the animation taking place in the dome. Watch out for dizzy people in that 8-people lift!
Housing pre-cinematographic optical devices, the museum showcases quaint and long-forgotten techniques like peepshows and magic lanterns for lighting that will leave you awash in a nostalgia you can’t even explain. Thoughtfully curated technologies from bygone eras as well as current times, stage props from early Italian movies and other film paraphernalia populate the area of the museum over several display levels linked by an elegant wooden staircase.
At the end of the stairs,the main central hall - called Temple Hall – lies just under the dome, impressively dotted with genre-specific cinema theme movie sets and comfy chaise-longues where you can watch historic movie trailers. La Dolce Vita begins here, friends.
Museum Of National Cinema Travel Tips
- Don’t forget to drop in to the bookstore and café on the ground floor!
- Don’t worry about language problems, as the museum is well-suited to those comfortable with English.
- Do not forget your cameras! No use crying over lost photo-ops later as you look out over the sprawling Alps from the panoramic lift. These are moments you’d want to capture.
- Be sure to get a bundle ticket, to get access to both the panoramic lift as well as the museum – plus, you get a discount!
- Evenings in the middle of the week are a great time to visit the museum.
Entrance Ticket Details For Museum Of National Cinema
- Reduced ticket rates are available for- € 7.00 - college students up to age 26, those over 65.
- € 2.50 - from 6 to 18 years, school groups.
- Free up to five years old, disabled and companion.
- With the Turin-Piedmont card, you can avail great discounts for the Mole, Egyptian museum, the Madama Castle, the Renoir exhibition and more, transport included.
For single visitors and groups with fewer than 15 people, you can buy advance tickets for:
- Admission to The National Cinema Museum.
- Cinema Massimo screenings.
- Admission to the Paronamic Lift.
- For groups of all kinds with 15 people or more, including school trips, you must book in advance for:
- admission to The National Cinema Museum.
- guided tours to the Museum.
- La Badessa
- Sotto La Mole
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Turin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Turin and book an accommodation of your choice.
50.93% of people who visit Turin include Museum Of National Cinema in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
70.85% of people start their Museum Of National Cinema visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Museum Of National Cinema
57.14% of people prefer walking in order to reach Museum Of National Cinema