Santuario Basilica La Consolata749 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza della Consolata, 10122 Torino, Italy, Turin
- Timings: 06:30 am - 12:00 pm Details
- Phone: 39011-4836111
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site
The Santuario della Consolata or Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Consolation, a prominent Marian sanctuary in Turin, can come across as quite a mouthful and is affectionately referred to as La Conslo in the region.
Entering from the sunny square into the Sanctuary might leave you feeling a little disoriented for a bit, but as your eyes adjust you won’t be able to help but revel in the rich colours and texture offered up by this monument, with arch after arch of ornate side-chapelsand beautiful lighting.
Like most historical architecture in the area, this Sanctuary too spells rich, luxurious Baroque. The first church was built here as early as the 11th century, dedicated to St Andrew. Over the course of nine centuries, it was restored around the 18th century and also underwent a facelift by way of the addition of polychrome marble and stucco decorations.
In addition, the church also showcases a myriad other votive offerings; hundreds of military epaulettes, war crosses from the two World Wars, ornaments and a seemingly unending pattern of cupola frescoes.The altar itself is magnificent, with two marble angels in adoration and the Gallery of Paintings bears pious witness to the grace of la Madonna della Consolata.
Also check out the Crypt of the Grazie if you have some time, along with the the gorgeous chapel dedicated to the two Queens - Maria Teresa and Maria Adelaide.This is the sort of place that is massive and intimate at the same time, that doesn’t leave you feeling overwhelmed with information or its intricate details. Instead, it will grant you feelings of warmth and wonderment – the sanctuary just celebrated its millennial anniversary this year! Pop over to the ‘El Bicerin’ across the road after the visit to enjoy a cup of Italian coffee with liqueur and chocolate and cream, to bask in the goodness and the gravity.
Santuario Basilica La Consolata Travel Tips
- There are generally very helpful workers at La Conslo, who would probably encourage you to take a look at the other churches in the area. So don’t be shy about making new friends!
- Use of the link round-trip from Turin Caselle Airport is free for holders of Torino + Piemonte Card.
How to Reach Santuario Basilica La Consolata
- By Train: From the station Torino Porta Nuova , stop n. 40 take bus number 52 (direction Scialoja) for 4 stops. Stops right in front of the Sanctuary of the Consolata.
- From the train to Torino Porta Susa take the power line weekday (Mon-Fri) minibus STAR 2 (green), at the stop of 1411 Piazza XVIII Dicembre (Porta Susa), direction Cairoli, for 4 stops. Get off at Via San Domenico / corner because of the Orphan. Take away the Orphan for two blocks, turn into Via Maria Adelaide. Arrival in the square of the Consolata.
- Botero the Art of Food
- E'Cucina - Cesare Marretti
- E'Cucina - Cesare Marretti
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Turin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Turin and book an accommodation of your choice.
45.17% of people who visit Turin include Santuario Basilica La Consolata in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
72.85% of people start their Santuario Basilica La Consolata visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Santuario Basilica La Consolata
83.87% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santuario Basilica La Consolata