The city palace is a beautiful construction from the era of the royals in Rajasthan. Sitting amongst the several palaces that have been built around Lake Pichola, this one is a gorgeous sight to see.
This palace might be one of the largest of its kind with intricately carved archways and delicate architecture. The influence of both Mughal as well as Rajasthani styles is quite apparent. It was built by the rulers of the Mewar kingdom. The Badi Mahal is especially stunning. Not only is the architecture quite beautiful, it also holds a pond of sorts within it. The Mor chowk has pretty stained glass work done in peacock motifs. The City palace is certainly a treat for the eyes. It is a surreal experience to walk the corridors and get an idea of what majesty the Rajasthani royals lived in.
If you have the time, you can also view all the surrounding palaces that are built in similar styles but with different elements. You could easily spend an entire day exploring this beautiful area. Be sure to try and find out more about the many tales and stories associated with the royals from locals or guides. There are a few ghost stories too.
City Palace Government Museum is basically a large chunk of the main city palace that has been the pride of Udaipur for centuries now. The part that is open and has been converted into the City Palace Museum is full of beautiful rooms, adorned with mirrors and royal tiles that will take you back into history in no time. This palace was built after Amar Singh I was born. It took almost 400 years to be completed and the intricate details will show you why.
Check out what are the other must visit places in Udaipur with a well planned Udaipur itinerary 2 days
City Palace And City Palace Government Museum Travel Tips
- Commercial and professional photographers require prior permission.
- You can also hire one of the registered guides for tours with the museum – available in English, French, German, Spanish, Hindi and Gujarati languages.
Entrance Ticket Details For City Palace And City Palace Government Museum
City palace entrance to the permitted areas:
- For adults: 30INR
- Children(5-18years): 15INR
- Boat ride: 400 INR (adult), 200INR (children of 5 -12 years)
Ticket price of City Palace Udaipur:
- 250 for the museum tour with a guide. Adult/child Rs.115/55, camera or video Rs.225, ticket plus audio guide Rs.225.
City Palace And City Palace Government Museum Hours
- Last ticket sold at 4:30pm.
- Evening activities (The Mewar Sound and Light Show):7pm – 8pm
- English Language: October - March (All Week), Hindi Language: May - August (All Week)
- English Language - April: 7:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Palki Khana Restaurant: 9am - 6pm
- Boat ride: 10am – 2pm (Winter) and 10am – 3pm (Summer)
- City Palace Museum: The museum opens at 9:00 am and the last ticket is sold at 4:30 pm. The museum closes at 5:30 pm.
- The museum is open Sundays and all public holidays, except on the day after Holika Dahan in March.
- For other ticket details, visit the official website
How to Reach City Palace And City Palace Government Museum
- By unmetered taxis, rickshaws, tongas, city bus from the city.
- Aashiya Haveli
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Udaipur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Udaipur and book an accommodation of your choice.
93.74% of people who visit Udaipur include City Palace And City Palace Government Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.96% of people start their City Palace And City Palace Government Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see City Palace And City Palace Government Museum
85.32% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting City Palace And City Palace Government Museum