The city palace is a beautiful construction from the era of the royals in Rajasthan. Sitting amongst the several palaces that have been built around Lake Pichola, this one is a gorgeous sight to see.
This palace might be one of the largest of its kind with intricately carved archways and delicate architecture. The influence of both Mughal as well as Rajasthani styles is quite apparent. It was built by the rulers of the Mewar kingdom. The Badi Mahal is especially stunning. Not only is the architecture quite beautiful, it also holds a pond of sorts within it. The Mor chowk has pretty stained glass work done in peacock motifs. The City palace is certainly a treat for the eyes. It is a surreal experience to walk the corridors and get an idea of what majesty the Rajasthani royals lived in.
If you have the time, you can also view all the surrounding palaces that are built in similar styles but with different elements. You could easily spend an entire day exploring this beautiful area. Be sure to try and find out more about the many tales and stories associated with the royals from locals or guides. There are a few ghost stories too.
City Palace Government Museum is basically a large chunk of the main city palace that has been the pride of Udaipur for centuries now. The part that is open and has been converted into the City Palace Museum is full of beautiful rooms, adorned with mirrors and royal tiles that will take you back into history in no time. This palace was built after Amar Singh I was born. It took almost 400 years to be completed and the intricate details will show you why.
Check out what are the other must visit places in Udaipur with a well planned Udaipur itinerary 2 days
- Commercial and professional photographers require prior permission.
- You can also hire one of the registered guides for tours with the museum – available in English, French, German, Spanish, Hindi and Gujarati languages.
City palace entrance to the permitted areas:
- For adults: 30INR
- Children(5-18years): 15INR
- Boat ride: 400 INR (adult), 200INR (children of 5 -12 years)
Ticket price of City Palace Udaipur:
- 250 for the museum tour with a guide. Adult/child Rs.115/55, camera or video Rs.225, ticket plus audio guide Rs.225.
- Last ticket sold at 4:30pm.
- Evening activities (The Mewar Sound and Light Show):7pm – 8pm
- English Language: October - March (All Week), Hindi Language: May - August (All Week)
- English Language - April: 7:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Palki Khana Restaurant: 9am - 6pm
- Boat ride: 10am – 2pm (Winter) and 10am – 3pm (Summer)
- City Palace Museum: The museum opens at 9:00 am and the last ticket is sold at 4:30 pm. The museum closes at 5:30 pm.
- The museum is open Sundays and all public holidays, except on the day after Holika Dahan in March.
- For other ticket details, visit the official website
- By unmetered taxis, rickshaws, tongas, city bus from the city.
- Aashiya Haveli
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Udaipur before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Udaipur and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Udaipur include City Palace And City Palace Government Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.96% of people start their City Palace And City Palace Government Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see City Palace And City Palace Government Museum
85.32% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting City Palace And City Palace Government Museum
Not knowing about the history of India, a person wonders how life continues. What a marvelous place the city palace is, the history surrounding it's construction and the lives that were involved in it's building and the rulers there after. A fantastic place to visit. Highly recommended.
प्रसिद्ध और शानदार सिटी पैलेस उदयपुर के जीवन का अभिन्न अंग है। यह राजस्थान का सबसे बड़ा महल है। इस महल का निर्माण शहर के संस्थापक महाराणा उदय सिंह-द्वितीय ने करवाया था। उनके बाद आने वाले राजाओं ने इसमें विस्तार कार्य किए। तो भी इसके निर्माण में आश्चर्यजनक समानताएं हैं। महल में जाने के लिए उत्तरी ओर से बड़ीपोल से और त्रिपोलिया द्वार से प्रवेश किया जा सकता है। सिटी पैलेस की स्थापना १६वीं शताब्दी में आरम्भ हुई। इसे स्थापित करने का विचार एक संत ने राजा उदयसिंह द्वितीयको दिया था। इस प्रकार यह परिसर ४०० वर्षों में बने भवनों का समूह है। यह एक भव्य परिसर है। इसे बनाने में २२ राजाओं का योगदान था। इस परिसर में प्रवेश के लिए टिकट लगता है।
Palace is beautiful, easily assessable, students get concession on tickets. Sunset view looks beautiful from here. It takes 2 hrs if you have a look and roam leisurely. Fun to go on solo trip as well. Have fun!
Good to visit especially at night great view lights and also light show is there if you want to go for. You will enjoy the light and the view very much. Go after 6 and entry for that is only 30rs which is good.
One of the best guided tours of a palace. I did the same 3 years ago. Guide charges are standard and reasonable considering the time and dedication they give. Also they are passionate about their culture and history. Strongly suggest this one.