Visit Udupi - Best of Udupi
Famous for its spiritual importance, Udupi, the city of temples, houses the incredible Sri Krishna Temple. Known by the mystical legends, the entire history of Udupi revolves around the temple. Pilgrimage to all the temples and the Asta Math humbles every soul and is a heavenly experience. Known to be the place that created the pristine Dosa, the best thing to do in Udupi would be exploring the food. Modest yet tasty, this cuisine is sure to make you fall in love with it.
Udupi also has a number of sanctuaries and natural reserves in and around the place. Look forward to sightings of tigers, deer, leopard, sambar and many more. Unexplored waterfalls are refreshing and rafting in the river, exhilarating.
The best time to visit Udupi is from October to March which is the winter season. The weather is pleasant and perfect if you’re travelling with your family, as you can enjoy the beaches, backwaters and islands. Connected superbly by buses, and roads within the city, as well as by air, and trains with other major destinations, Udupi is easy to reach and sightsee.
Currently not a tourist hotspot, you have to yourself the entire destination. Its proximity to other tourist destinations is advantageous. The best places to stay in Udupi, are the luxurious accommodation options available which are within budget. Not many places will offer you that.
The magical festival of Deepavali is something to look forward to, spread over 4 to 5 days, each day has its own significance. It is the best thing to do at night, when the entire city lights up to mirror the sky. Often known as the Festival of Lights, it marks the triumph of good over evil.
Local markets offer a great variety of shopping avenues like authentic spices, Ayurvedic oils, clothes and handicrafts at the local markets.
Like any other Indian city, this place will offer you the best food, stay and the most incredible time.
Udupi Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Udupi tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Indian Time Zone, UTC+ 05:30 hours
- Currency: Indian Rupees
- Electricity and Internet: 220-240 Volts. Wi-Fi is available in most of the hotels and resorts.
- Languages: Tulu is the primary language of Udupi, along with Kannada, Konkani and Beary Bashe. English is understood but may not be widely spoken.
- Tipping: Although tipping is not mandatory, it is expected and appreciated.
- Customs: If you are visiting any temple, please remove your footwear before entering (most temples have provision for the same). This also applies if you go to someone’s residence. We in India eat with our hands, and food is often served on banana leaves in parts of South India. Don’t hesitate to try our method, but do ask for cutlery if you feel uncomfortable.
- Off-beaten Path: Explore the authentic Udupi cuisine at the local eateries. Some of the small islands in the sea are unexplored.
- Security: Police: 100, Fire: 101, Accident: 103
Are you looking for a Udupi travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Udupi Tourist Information
Popular Hotels in UdupiView all Hotels in Udupi
- Mangaluru Tourism
- Chikmagalur Tourism
- Madikeri Tourism
- Kannur Tourism
- Agonda Tourism
- Sanguem Tourism
- Mysore Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Wayanad Tourism
- Bandipur Tourism
- Arambol Tourism
- Hampi Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism
- Mount Abu Tourism
Facts and Stats for Udupi*
Living in Udupi - Quality of Life
Climate Index 66.25 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Udupi
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Udupi
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.01 USD
International Movie per seat 5.79 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 36.18 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 36.18 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.