Guddattu Temple8 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Guddetu Mahaganapati Temple, Guddattu Shri Vinayaka Temple, Udupi, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-8202595315
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
The Guddattu Temple of Udupi is famous for its idol. The temple is set amongst a green haven with the forest on one side, and paddy fields on the other. It is at the foot of a large rock, which is naturally shaped like a sleeping elephant. The idol worshipped here is that of Lord Ganesha, and what is special is that the deity is not made by anyone. This self-manifested idol has around 700 years of history. Unlike any of the other poses of the Lord, here, the Lord sits cross-legged, pot-bellied with a twisted trunk submerged up to neck in water. Legend says that Lord Ganesha suffered from burning skin after eating too much of honey. His father, Lord Shiva, then asked him to sit in water to cool down. This story then took form in the shape of this sculpture.
Guddattu Temple Travel Tips
- Additional contact detail : +91 9632654343
- Modest dressing is compulsory in the temple premises.
- Shoes must be removed before entering the temple premises. Proper facilities are provided for the same.
- Offerings in small amounts are appreciated, boxes for the same are provided.
How to Reach Guddattu Temple
- Buses to stop- Shiriyara
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Udupi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Udupi and book an accommodation of your choice.