Jangsaengpo whale museum is the first and only whale museum located in Jangsaengpo, Nam-gu, Ulsan in South Korea. Previously, it was the central area for Korean whaling industry. Later on, this open space are has been transformed into an historical museum where you can learn everything about whales. The museum also displays the whaling artifacts that were banned in 1986. Beside this, you can experience different fields like Whale Belly Road or the Underwater Adventure zone. In the exhibition center, you can see things like Bryde’s whale skeleton, a killer whale skeleton, gray whale corner, whaling ships, whale aquarium called Jangsaengpo whale life experience museum and so on.
In Jangsaengpo whale life experience museum, you can see various fishes of both fresh and salt water, sharks, sea turtles, dolphins and so on. A 4D zone theater and a hands-on zoo are there, especially for children. Taking an entire tour around the museum will take at least 3 hours.
- The museum is closed on Monday; Korean New Year’s day / Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving Day); day after a national holiday; Thursday of the following week when national holidays are Saturdays or Sundays; when the day after a national holiday is Saturday.
- Package is applied for those who wish to visit the entire museum.
- 4D video room is free of charge for senior citizens (65 years or above), infants (36 months or less), the disabled, persons of national merit, independence patriots and recipients of National Basic Livelihood security.
- Free benefits are accessible to individuals who can provide related proper ID proofs or certificates .
- Pregnant women are not allowed for the 4D video room for safety reasons.
- The museum volunteers explain displays, targeting general visitors, families and more.
- Whaling history hall is located at 2nd floor, Gray Whale hall at 3rd floor, children experience hall at 1st floor.
- Audio guide devices are available on rent.
For main building-
- Adult (19 years – 64 years) – 1,500won (group over 20 people)
- Youth (13 years – 18years ), serviceman (under the rank of sergeant, duty/operation, riot police, security training) – 1,500 won (individual), 1,000 won (group over 20 people)
- Children (37 months to 12 years old) – 1,000 won (individual), 500 won (group over 20 people)
Whale Life Experience Museum –
- Adult (19 years – 64 years) – 5,000 won (individual), 4,000won (group over 20 people)
- Youth (13 years – 18years) & serviceman (under the rank of sergeant, duty/operation, riot police, security training) – 4,000won (individual), 3,000 won (group over 20 people)
- Children (37 months to 12 years old) – 3,000 won (individual), 2000won (group over 20 people)
- 4D video room – 3,000 won
Package (main building, life experience museum and 4D video room) –
- Adult (19 years – 64 years) – 9,000 won (individual), 7,700won (group over 20 people)
- Youth (13 years – 18years) & serviceman (under the rank of sergeant, duty/operation, riot police, security training) – 7,700 won (individual), 6,300 won (group over 20 people)
- Children (37 months to 12 years old) – 6,300won (individual), 5,000 won (group over 20 people)
- Audio guide device rental price – 2,000 won
- Ticketing – 9:30 am to 5pm
- Operating hours whaling history hall – 10am (1st round), 11am (2nd round), 2pm (3rd round), 3pm (4th round)
Jangsaengpo whale life experience museum
- Ticketing – 9:30 am to 5pm
- Operating hour – 9:30 am to 6pm
- Take bus 246 to Haegunbudae Apt. (infront of Naval base) and go straight for 200m until you see Jangsaengpo Whale Museum on the right.
- Gorae Bapsang
- Gorae Gogi Wonjo Halmaejip Main
- Chicken Castle
- Cheogatjip Yangnyeomtongdak Seongnae
- Yeompo Oritang
- Burger Bar & Kitchen
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ulsan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ulsan and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ulsan include Jangsaengpo Whale Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
57.83% of people start their Jangsaengpo Whale Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Jangsaengpo Whale Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Jangsaengpo Whale Museum
It's gonna new experience for those who don't have idea about the whales and it's hunting. (Different kinds of whales and its Whales skeletons with 1:1 ratio) Also Aquarium available next to whales musuem, where you can see the Dolphins shows and colourful fish tanks Mono rail is added recently which takes you above the whales village for a quick tour(15-20 minutes) Overall can experience good if you are new to above
Attended the opening ceremony of the museum and have enjoyed watching the development of its programs over the years. Kid friendly and worth a visit.
The whale museum has been well-orgsnized and owned an impressive collection about whale and relevant fields. It's a good place for your trip to discover Ulsan city.
A good place to visit. Helpful to understand how the Korean culture is related to whales
Pretty neat museum, but understandably not much information in English inside. The price is pretty cheap for entry, and it's worth a visit even without being able to read everything inside. It's somewhat small, so you might only spend 30 minutes to an hour, but there in an aquarium nearby worth going to as well.