Uppsala is a city located in Sweden which lies around 80 km north of Stockholm, merely 40 minutes away, and is the fourth largest city in the country. It is best known for the Uppsala University because of which the city has a large youth population. It’s a quiet, charming little city boasting of great culture and impressive gothic architecture. A vibrant city where the traditional and the modern go hand in hand quite beautifully, this place is a must-visit especially for students who are looking to meet new people and have a great time!
Essential travel information and Uppsala tips for your visit
- Remember to be wary of pickpockets, especially during nights.
- If you end up taking a taxi which does not belong to the four companies and it does not tell you about a fixed rate based on the distance, you might want to haggle. It’s better if you choose from the four major players if you’re a paranoid traveller.
- You may want to avoid being out too late during weekend nights when people in the city like to get drunk. In case of an emergency, the 112 number can be used to contact the police if you find yourself in trouble. Otherwise, Uppsala is a safe city.
- There is no way of paying by cash if you take a bus. Remember that you can either pay for the ticket through SMS if you have a Swedish mobile number, or you can buy a ticket at the various vending machines put up near most of the bus stops.
- If you are student studying at any university or college and you are carrying your student identity card, you can purchase the Uppsala University Student Nation Guest card. The university has 12 Nations (fraternities) that run many activities and the food and beverage is almost at half price. You’ll find lots of things to do on their event card.
- If you have made the choice to rent a bike, it is very likely for it to get stolen. It’s a good idea to lock it whenever you leave it behind.
Uppsala Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Uppsala. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Uppsala trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Uppsala
Save 5%In the path of the VikingsNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Viking History Small-Group Trip from Stockholm including Sigtuna and Uppsala: Full Day
8 Hrs14 Reviews
Save 5%Roofwalking on the worlds greatest pink castle!New on TripHobo
1 Hr 30 Mins
Save 5%Private Stockholm Tour by VIP car Uppsala and Sigtuna with guideNew on TripHobo
Whwat type of city what is populationAnswer Report Abuse
Uppsala is a historic city in Central Sweden where 15th century Sweden University and 17th-century cabinet of curiosities are located. It is also blessed with exquisite natural beauty. The population on Uppsala as of December 2017 was 168,096.Report Abuse