Old City Walls Of Vannes, Vannes
About Old City Walls Of Vannes, Vannes
Old City Walls Of Vannes, Vannes - Address
Address: Vannes, France
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 2.6K times in trip plans
Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Tower, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
They might look immaculately built for the beauty of them, but the old walls of Vannes are really the fortifications that enclose the city that was not so calm in its past. The history of Vannes is rich and quite violent. The city had been besieged more than five times by its enemies and hence the protective measures have only increased and the fortifications of the city, strengthened. Now when you walk by these walls and freshen yourself with the aroma of the flowerbeds that surround them, in the evenings, you can still imagine the enemies trying to destroy the walls in order to invade the city. Highlights and must sees include:
- “Tour du Bourreau” i.e the tower of the executioner was a women’s prison and used to house the executioner of the city.
- Occasional festivals involving fireworks, light projections, book fairs and other exhibitions are a part of the place’s culture and are a treat to the tourist, be it for learning or just pure recreation.
Urban development has resulted in the demolition of certain monuments along the wall. But due to the birth of an active heritage protection association, the city walls are one of the very few fortifications that have survived the test of time.
Old City Walls Of Vannes Information
- Visit the museums and the galleries and also read up the history of the Vannes, this will make the walk along the wall more worthwhile and imaginative.
How To reach Old City Walls Of Vannes by Public Transport
- Bus no.: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11@Republique.
Restaurants Near Old City Walls Of Vannes
- La Taupiniere
- La Huche a Pain
- Cote et Saveurs
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vannes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vannes and book an accommodation of your choice.
Old City Walls Of Vannes, Vannes Reviews - Write a Review
Visited here in 2005. Fantastic place with its castle, gardens and historic wattle and daub style houses. Well worth a visit.
Very pleasant place to sit and enjoy well maintained garden!!
So much character in this ols city
Beautiful old part of the town
- Nearby Attractions
- Presqu'ile De Rhuys
- Arz Island
- Monks Island
- Les Amis Du Sinagot
- Port De Crouesty
- Abbaye De Bon-repos
- Sainte-anne D'auray
- Prieure Saint-etienne
- Les Tours D'elven
- Ranrouet Castle 'sentinel Of The Marshes'
- Vannes Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Vannes
- What to See in 48 Hours in Vannes
- What to See in 72 Hours in Vannes
- How to Spend 5 Days in Vannes
- How to Spend 6 Days in Vannes
- How to Spend 7 Days in Vannes