Old City Walls Of Vannes346 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 4 Rue des Vierges, 56000 Vannes, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Tower, Architecture
They might look immaculately built for the beauty of them, but the old walls of Vannes are really the fortifications that enclose the city that was not so calm in its past. The history of Vannes is rich and quite violent. The city had been besieged more than five times by its enemies and hence the protective measures have only increased and the fortifications of the city, strengthened. Now when you walk by these walls and freshen yourself with the aroma of the flowerbeds that surround them, in the evenings, you can still imagine the enemies trying to destroy the walls in order to invade the city. Highlights and must sees include:
- “Tour du Bourreau” i.e the tower of the executioner was a women’s prison and used to house the executioner of the city.
- Occasional festivals involving fireworks, light projections, book fairs and other exhibitions are a part of the place’s culture and are a treat to the tourist, be it for learning or just pure recreation.
Urban development has resulted in the demolition of certain monuments along the wall. But due to the birth of an active heritage protection association, the city walls are one of the very few fortifications that have survived the test of time.
Old City Walls Of Vannes Travel Tips
- Visit the museums and the galleries and also read up the history of the Vannes, this will make the walk along the wall more worthwhile and imaginative.
How to Reach Old City Walls Of Vannes
- Bus no.: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11@Republique.
- La Taupiniere
- La Huche a Pain
- Cote et Saveurs
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Vannes before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vannes and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Vannes include Old City Walls Of Vannes in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
31.4% of people start their Old City Walls Of Vannes visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Old City Walls Of Vannes
94.57% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old City Walls Of Vannes