Assi GhatCurrently Open
- Address: Varanasi, U.P, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Religious Site, Water Body, Family And Kids
It was a joyous moment for Goddess Durga. She triumphantly killed the demon Shumba-Nishumba. And to mark her victory she threw her sword in the Assi River. The place where the sword fell resulted in a big stream, known as Assi River. This was then known as Assi Ghat.
Assi ghat is described as Saimbeda Tirtha. This means that if you take a dip in the waters here, even once, all your sins will be washed away for life. Hindu pilgrims come here during the month of March/April which is called Chaitya month and again during Jan/Feb during Magh month. There are significant solar and lunar eclipse months which is called Probodhoni, Ekadashi, Makar, and Sankranti.
There is a big Shiva Lingam under the Peepal tree where pilgrims offer water and worship. This is done after a dip in the Ganges River. There is another Shiva Lingam in a small temple made of marble near Assi Ghat.
Assi ghat is very peaceful and preferred by tourists and locals alike. Researchers, foreign students and other travellers favour this location for its environment. Whenever there is any Hindu festival, people gather here to take a dip in the water to feel cleansed. It sets the mind and body free from depravities and only then the person can concentrate on the Puja. There are a lot of open boats moored by the water’s edge. Most tourists like to take a boat ride to see Varanasi.
On a typical day about 300 people visit every hour in the mornings, and on festival days 2500 people arrive per hour. The ghat accommodates about 22,500 people at once during festivals like Shivratri. It was at Assi Ghat that Tulsidas left for his heavenly abode. After the 2010 Varanasi bombing, the city commissioned extra security to ensure people’s safety.
- Really nice atmosphere, quieter than other Ghats and laid back people.
- Nice shops, businesses and restaurants and beautiful spots on the river.
- The government is cleaning up the banks using private partnerships.
- The best thing on Assi Ghat is Ganges View Guest House which often have art exhibitions, musical performances, and lectures by interesting people.
- Watch sunrise at Assi Ghat, its splendid.
- Festive Villa: Chinese, Indian, International
- Aum Cafe: Indian
- Cozy Corner Restaurant CCR: Chinese, Indian, Vegetarian
- The place Ngo Outlet cafe: Cafe, Indian, Contemporary
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Varanasi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Varanasi and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.72% of people who visit Varanasi include Assi Ghat in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
35.78% of people start their Assi Ghat visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Assi Ghat
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Assi Ghat