Events and Festivals in Varanasi
- Dhrupad Mela: A five days music festival of Dhrupad is performed by renowned artistes at Tulsi Ghat. It is very popular among foreign tourists.
- Hanuman Jayanti: Jannotsav of Lord Hanuman is celebrated at Sankat Mochan Temple for five days. There are cultural & musical programmes by renowned artistes from all over India.
- Buddha Purnima: This festival celebrates the birth of Lord Buddha with traditional religious fervour. It is held at Sarnath and idols of the Buddha are paraded for the public.
- Rathyatra Mela: A Ratha-Yatra or Roth Jatra is a Chariot Festival. In this Hindu deities are transported in a chariot called Ratha or Roth.
- Shravan Mela: Shraavana is considered to be a holy month in the Hindu calendar due to the many festivals that are celebrated during this time.
- Ramleela Ramnagar: The unique Ramleela of Ramnagar is performed in the pageant style. It was started about 1830 by Maharaja Udit Narayan Singh of Banaras.
- Navratri Mela: This is a festival dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga.
- Ganga Mahotsav: A dance presentation at Ganga Mahotsav Kartik Purnima in the month of Oct.-Nov. The festival celebrates the rich cultural heritage of Varanasi. They have cultural programmes and boat races.
- Deepavali: The light festival of Gods. More than one million earthen lamps are lit on the Ghats.
- Bharat Milap: Celebrating Lord Ram’s return to Ayodhya after 14th years of exile and his reunion with his brother Bharat, this festival is held the day following Dussehra.
- Mahashivaratri: On this day every Shiv Mandir is decorated. In Varanasi a marriage procession of Lord Shiva is taken out starting from Mahamrityunjaya Temple, Daranagar to Kashi Vishwanath Temple via Chowk.
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Varanasi
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Varanasi
Save 10%Evening Boat Ride Guided tour while Ganga Arti VaranasiNew on TripHobo
Duration: 1 Hrs
A unique evening private boat tour that will give you the opportunity to watchevening Ganga Arti Ceremony.If you are visiting...
Insight Varanasi Day Tour1 Reviews
Duration: 14 Hrs
Do you believe that one's sins can be absolved by taking a dip in the holy Ganges in Varanasi? Local people believe that Vara...Book Now
3-Hour Varanasi Morning Sunrise Boat Tour7 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
Boating down the Ganges river during sunrise is one of the main attractions in Varanasi. We can observe here the Hindu way of...Book Now
Half-Day Sarnath Tour from Varanasi1 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
Sarnath, the world-famous Buddhist site, is situated about 10 km (6 miles) northeast of Varanasi city. This was the place whe...Book Now