You can only imagine what a coastal town, Varkala in God’s very own country, Kerala can be like! With a surreal location, mostly of red laterite cliffs lacing the cerulean Arabian Sea and pristine stretches of flaxen beaches, tranquillity is permanently inhabited here. Days here mostly look like, the Sun playing a peek-a-boo with the inestimable coconut groves planted in earthy, rustic houses with sloping roofs. Evenings draw a picture, no less than a painting of an amber sun bringing out the most beautiful silhouettes of everything around, as the sea glitters away witnessing this magic unfold. Not surprisingly, here you will find several wellness resorts further enhancing an experience here.
Essentially a suburban town of Kerala’s capital Thiruvananthapuram, Varkala is nestled away from Trivandrum’s frenzy and the overdone Kovalam. Thus, also justifying its being as non-commercialised town. Which means a cheaper holiday! The most obvious things to do in Varkala would probably be; nothing! Well, only if you count swimming in the sea, taking naps on the beach, strolling through its narrow alleys, or indulging in some rejuvenating therapy, actual activities or things to do, then there indeed are a lot of things to do here! Of course, this is the place to set free, and surrender to the nature.
This bohemian hue of the town, attracts visitors with a longing for deep insights and idiosyncrasy. Thus, mitigating the town’s hippy vibe. From cafes playing trance music to vendors selling the characteristic hippy clothes and jewellery. You will find everything from baggy trousers with Indian tantric prints to silver oxidized jewellery! Remarkably contrasting this scene is the crux of Varkala – it’s being of a holy, temple town. While you spot several free-spirited individuals, you also spot Hindus trading towards the sanctified Papanasham beach, which is believed to have in-cleansing properties.
A place depicting a time capsule, Varkala is a dream come true!
Essential travel information and Varkala tips for your visit
- Time Zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency: Currency used in Varkala is Indian Rupees.
- Electricity: India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet: 3G is available in almost all the hotels in the city. Wo-Fi might be available only at the luxury properties of the town.
- Languages: Language spoken in Varkala is Malayalam and English.
- Security: Police: Police 100, 231455, Fire 101, Ambulance 233614
- Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Refrain from getting overfriendly with strangers.
- Keep all your cash and valuables under lock and key in your hotel room. Avoid carrying and exhibiting them in busy streets.
- Do not enter temples with footwear.
- Check for photography prohibitions, before you click.