Sistine ChapelCurrently Closed
- Address: Viale Vaticano, 00120 Citta del Vaticano, Vatican City, 00120
- Timings: 08:30 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-0669884676
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral , Landmarks
The Sistine Chapel needs no introduction. It is the official residence of the Pope in the Vatican City and is a part of the most popular and important chapel in the Apostolic Palace. The Sistine Chapel is the location for the Papal Conclave today.
One of the most iconic and identifiable feature of the chapel is the art that is on display. The ceiling and the walls are adorned by centuries old frescoes that had been masterfully and timelessly embossed on this historic building by the likes of Michelangelo, Perugino, Botticelli, Ghirlandaio and Pinturicchio among others.
- Regular ticket € 1
- Reduced ticket € 8
- Closed on Sundays except the last Sunday of the month there is free entrance from 9:00 am - 12.30 pm; subject to changes on special days i.e. The Museums close at 2:00 pm except it coincides with Easter Sunday, the 29th of June (St. Peter and Paul), 25th and 26th of December (Christmas and St. Stephen) Sundays.
- Last exit is around 6:00 pm.
- Metro Line A, Stations: Ottaviano - S.Pietro-Musei Vaticani
- Cipro (from both stations 10 minutes walk
- L’Arcangelo – local and traditional cuisine
- Dolce Maniera – deli, bakery and sandwiches
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vatican City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vatican City and book an accommodation of your choice.
This is one of the place that a person who love art should definitely visit, doesn't matter if you are Catholic or not, or even a Christian or not! It's just a great master peace!!!! It's very crowded most of the time. If you want to enjoy the beauty just take a 'skip the line guided tour'. We found a tour that starts before the chapel is open to the public, and we were inside for about 30 minutes with just a few people! Great experience!!!
It was cool to see the amount of artwork there. Be prepared for loads of people. Felt like we were being herded. Chapel was incredible but just getting there really hindered what could have been an unforgettable experience.
If you have an opportunity to go to the Sistine chapel. Go.. ask a guide.. skip the queue and take a guided tour (€35-€55) well, well worth it. Our Guide was so knowledgeable. They ask you to stay quiet. And no photos in the chapel itself. Some things just need to be seen. Amazing.
A work of art and masterpiece of Michelangelo on a scale never seen before or since. Worth a trip to the Vatican just to see this. Would recommend either guided tour or save yourself the money and use Rick Steve's downloadable audio guide. Full of useful information and interesting facts that will help you appreciate this masterpiece that must more! Definitely a must see, regardless or whether you are religious or not.
The Chapel is amazingly decorated with paintings. The famous ceiling is breath taking. I recommend learning about it before you get in or get some guide to explain it before you get in. The chapel is only accessable through Vatican museum and from there you can go back to the museum or out to St. Peter's Basilica and square