St Peter's BasilicaCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Citta del Vaticano, Vatican City
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0669883731
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Undisputed zenith of Renaissance architecture. Inarguably the most significant church in the world. Mecca of Catholic Christendom. Almost certainly the final resting place of St. Peter. Dominant of Rome’s skyline. Big enough to fit the Statue of Liberty. Michelangelo’s most reluctant masterpiece. The stunning building’s most important sights are:
- La Pieta: The only signed work and sculpture of Michelangelo, depicting Mary cradling Jesus after the crucifixion. Famous for an older and more natural Madonna, no sign of The Passion on Christ’s face. Brutally damaged by the careless and the disturbed in the past, the sculpture is now housed behind bulletproof glass.
- The Dome: Take the elevator to the roof. Then climb 323 steps to the top of the Dome for a view to blast your mind to smithereens. The elevator will cost you EUR5, and going to the top and down again will take up an hour.
- St. Peter's Baldachin: Baroque bronze canopy that marks the location of St. Peter’s Tomb. Check out the columns, the four giant angels.
- Chair of Saint Peter: Ancient cathedra that was perhaps used by St. Peter but definitely used by successive popes.
- Monument to Alexander VII: The pope’s tomb, with a sculpture of him kneeling on it, supported by four female figures. From the doorway in front comes the winged figure of death.
You may also be interested in 10 Days in Italy Itinerary
The St. Peter Basilica of Vatican City is one of the most astonishing architectural attractions. Being a church, there are no tickets for St. Peter Basilica. However, if you wish to understand the architectural importance of this place, you can book tickets for St.Peter Basilica tours with us and have an enlightening session. St.Peter Basilica ticket prices come along in all range. As you book St.Peter Basilica Tickets with us, you get an entry into the world of history and wonder.
- Be there as early as possible to avoid the crowds, Preferably before 11.00 am.
- No hats for men.
- Wear long trousers, shorts are not allowed.
- Skirts longer than knee length.
- Photography is allowed but the lack of light ruins it. Flash not allowed.
- Audio guide is available.
- Guided tours are available.
- If Pope is in residence, he appears in the gallery on Sunday Noons.
- For elevator up to the dome: EUR 7
- For stairs upto the dome: EUR 5
- Audio Guide: EUR 5
- Entrance to St. Peter’s Treasury has applicable charge.
- Metro Line A Stop Cipro/Ottaviano
- Buses 49, 490, 491, 23, 492, N11, N10
- Tram No. 19
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vatican City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vatican City and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Vatican City include St Peter's Basilica in their plan
06 AM - 07 AM
67.63% of people start their St Peter's Basilica visit around 06 AM - 07 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see St Peter's Basilica
78.4% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting St Peter's Basilica