Vatican Necropolis And Saints TombCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Vatican City
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0669873017
- Ticket Price: 13 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral , Tomb
12-15 metres below the St. Peter’s Basilica, a religious tomb sleeps. Pope Pius XI, who believed that St. Peter was buried close, wanted to be buried near the apostle. Excavations in the 1940s revealed that a large network of burial chambers for the dead. Human bones found in the Graffiti Wall close to St. Peter’s suspected grave are largely believed to belong to the apostle, and are suspected to have been moved during the construction of the Constantine Basilica. In the 1950’s the Pope revealed the discovery of St. Peter’s tomb within the church. This is widely regarded as accurate.
Like the Vatican Gardens, the tour must be a guided one. Unlike the Vatican Gardens though, this tour can be had separately from the main ones. You may also be interested in 10 Days in Italy Itinerary
- The archaeological site is not currently accessible for strollers, wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility. Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes without high heels.
- The necropolis tour must be a guided visit.
- Only 250 visitors are allowed inside per day.
- Groups are in 12 and according to language.
- Age 15+ only are allowed.
- Requests to visit MUST be made. Provide number of visitors, their names, preferred languages, preferred dates, and email/postal address.
- Dress: long trousers/slacks/jeans for men; dresses that reach below the knees or long trousers/slacks/jeans for women; shoulders must be covered for all.
- Last visit at 3:30 pm.
- Closed on January 1 and 6 (Epiphany); February 11; March 19; St. Joseph), 28-31 (Easter); April 1-2 (Easter), April 19 (Election of the Pope); May 1 (St. Joseph), May 9 (Ascension), 30 (Corpus Christi); June 29 (SS. Peter and Paul); August 14 -16 (Assumption); November 1-2; December 8 (Immaculate), 24-27 (Christmas) and 31 December 2013.
- Metro Line A Stop Cipro/Ottaviano
- Buses 49, 490, 491, 23, 492, N11, N10
- Tram No. 19
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Vatican City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vatican City and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Vatican City include Vatican Necropolis And Saints Tomb in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
85.32% of people start their Vatican Necropolis And Saints Tomb visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Vatican Necropolis And Saints Tomb
70.75% of people prefer walking in order to reach Vatican Necropolis And Saints Tomb