Venice or Venezia (in Italy), the name itself gives a feeling of romance and mystery. Right from being the perfect romantic weekend getaways to traveler’s home who are in search of the history of Italy, Venice is beautiful in its own way. Though the city is said to be famous for canals and gondolas which attracts nearly 20 billion visitors in a year, but it has lot more to offer than you expect. Its Venetian red paintings, bohemian nature and of course the red wines – has made Venice a strong competitor for Paris.
Famously built on 117 tiny islands, Venice is linked by more than 150 canals and 400 bridges. Probably this fact has made the city earn the title ‘The city of Water’. But geography says that the city is actually sinking as water levels rise every year. Hence, before any such mishap happens, visit this marvelous city.
A look on its map will show that the center of Venice is divided into six quarters (sestieri) – Cannaregio, Castello, Dorsoduro, Sam Marco, San Polo and Santa Croce. On any given summer day, you will find hundreds of Europeans flocking Venice for short breaks, reveling in its magnificent tourist attractions and awe-inspiring scenery.
Venice enjoyed a long history as a powerful trading post before being eclipsed by other cities and nations. However, today its art, historical buildings and museums has strongly remained as a remarkable treasure trove. Take an unforgettable walking tour of Venice that will unravel the beauty of this amorous town and show you why it truly deserves the title of one of the best cities in the world. Each one of you should visit Venice at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Venice.
Essential travel information and Venice tips for your visit
- Beware of pickpocketers.
- Try to carry backpack as Venice has many small lanes in which walking with suitcase is extremely difficult.
- Time Zone – CEST (Central European Time)
- Currency – Euro (EUR)
- Electricity and Internet – 220-240 volts; primary socket type is Italian, Europlug. Free Wi-Fi access is available in hotels and some regions of the city.
- Languages – Venetian is their official language. However, other languages like French and Spanish are also spoken.
- Security – Fire service: 115, Police: 112, Ambulance: 118, European emergency: tel. 112.
- Tourist traps - Be aware of individuals dressed in traditional Venetian clothes who always try to influence you for the gondola ride. Avoid falling trap of the seller who try to sell fake handbags.
- Off-beaten Path – Explore the backstreets or canals of Venice to see the best places of the city.
- Tipping – If you are using public restroom, be sure to tip the cleaner seating outside by giving 20 cents - 1€. Tips for checkroom attendants are around EUR 50/ person, restroom attendant – EUR 20 – 30(more in expensive hotels).
- Customs – Photography is strictly prohibited in the churches. If you are participating in the Carnival of Venice, wearing mask is a must.
Venice Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Venice. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Venice trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Venice
Save 9%Venice Gondola Ride and Serenade
30 Mins2558 Reviews
Save 10%Dolomite Mountains and Cortina Semi Private Day Trip from Venice
9 Hrs846 Reviews
Save 10%Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace
3 Hrs521 Reviews
Save 8%Murano & Burano Islands Half Day Guided Tour by Private Boat
5 Hrs862 Reviews
Save 7%Doge's Palace and St Mark's Basilica Tour
2 Hrs162 Reviews
Save 9%Venice Independent Day Trip from Rome by High-Speed Train
15 Hrs124 Reviews