Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore15497 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Isola San Giorgio Maggiore, 30124 Venice, Italy
- Timings: 08:30 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0415227827
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Heritage Building
This 16th-century Benedictine basilica sits on the island that shares its name. It’s beautiful: classical renaissance, white marble, with a proud bell tower, right in the middle of a blue lagoon. The first church here was built in the late 8th century. Palladio designed the current building, but died before he could see his completed project in 1610. The monks by and large controlled decoration of the church, so it’s not over-opulent. Highlights are:
- Tintoretto’s The Last Supper and The Fall of Manna and the Entombment of Christ.
- The Chapel of the Dead.
- Virgin and Child with Saints by Sebastiano Ricci.
- Altarpiece by Jacopo and Domenico Tintoretto of the Risen Christ and St Andrew with Vincenzo Morosini and family.
- Jacopo and Domenico Tintoretto’s painting of the Coronation of the Virgin with Saints.
- Adoration of the Shepherds by Jacopo Bassano.
- Miracle of the immobility of Santa Lucia by Leandro Bassano.
The view from the bell tower is supposed to be fantastic. Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore also included in 3 days trip to Venice itinerary.
Entrance Ticket Details For Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore
- 5 € regular
- 3 € reduction for students
- over 65, residents and groups (min 30).
How to Reach Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore
- Waterbus Line 2 stop Isola di San Giorgio.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
43.51% of people who visit Venice include Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
35.28% of people start their Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore
90.31% of people prefer walking in order to reach Church Of San Giorgio Maggiore