Church Of San Salvatore399 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Sestiere di S.Marco, 4835, 30122 Venezia, Italy, Venice Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0415236717
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Heritage Building
There’s been a church on this spot since at least the 11th century, but the Roman Catholic Baroque building you see today wasn’t built until the 16th century.
Highlights of the church are:
- The cannonball at the bottom of the façade’s left column, left their by bombardment from Austrian forces in 1849.
- Paintings, statues, frescoes and other works of art by Titian, Jacopo Sansovino, Francesco Vecellio, Alessandro Vittoria.
- Statue of San Gerolamo.
- Tomb of Theodore of Amasea.
- Francesco Venier's monument.
- Funerary monument of Caterina Cornaro, a Queen of Cyprus.
- The relics of St. Theodore in the chapel to the right of the apse.
An interesting historical anecdote: Pope Alexander III took refuge in this church, disguised a pilgrim, when on the run from Emperor Frederic Barberossa.
The church is quite close to Merciano, Venice’s main shopping area.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Church Of San Salvatore Address: Sestiere di S.Marco, 4835, 30122 Venezia, Italy, Venice
- Church Of San Salvatore Contact Number: +39-0415236717
- Church Of San Salvatore Timing: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Church Of San Salvatore: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.16% of people who visit Venice include Church Of San Salvatore in their plan
50% of people start their Church Of San Salvatore visit around 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Church Of San Salvatore
50% of people prefer walking in order to reach Church Of San Salvatore
People normally club together Grand Canal and Bridge Of Sighs while planning their visit to Church Of San Salvatore.