Saint Mark's Basilica24241 Votes Currently Open
- Address: San Marco, 328, Venezia, Italy, Venice
- Timings: 02:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0412708311
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Family And Kids, Architecture
The name ‘Church of Gold’ is well deserved. This magnificent Byzantine building is the most opulent, elaborate and lavishly designed/decorated/gifted building in all of Venice. And until the early 18th century, it used to be the Doge’s private little chapel. The only one who had a better building to pray in in the world was the Pope. You are only allowed 10 minutes inside, so make the most of it. The major stands out features (almost each of which have their own fascinating history) are:
- 8000 sq metres of gilded interior mosaics
- Five arched portals in the lower register
- Large bronze doors
- Byzantine, Romanesque and Gothic Art
- Horses of Saint Mark
- The Winged Lion (Venice’s symbol) above the central window
- The statue of the Four Tetrarchs from Constantinople
- Greek cross design
- Geometrically designed marble floors
- The gem studded the Golden Pall
- The Treasury
St. Marks Museum: Housed inside the basilica, it has it’s own fees and is definitely worth checking out. It’s established between the Basilica’s vestibule and the Doge’s old banquet hall. The exhibits here cover the Quadriga, Mosaics, Textiles and Antiques. They are most informative.
Saint Mark's Basilica Travel Tips
- You cannot bring any bags inside with you; avail the locker facilities.
- Photos and filming are forbidden.
- Loud explanations are not allowed, the use of earphones is permitted.
- Make sure you’re conservatively dressed.
- Disabled visitors should call +39-0412708311 for arrangements.
Saint Mark's Basilica Hours
- The Museum hours are 15 minutes shorter than the Basilica’s. It is open throughout the day on sundays and public holidays.
How to Reach Saint Mark's Basilica
- Vaporetti: From Piazzale Rome- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Santa Lucia Railway Station- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Lido di Venezia- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 5.2, San Zaccaria stop.
- Caffe Florian
- Caffe Quadri
- Ristorante Quadri
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
76.81% of people who visit Venice include Saint Mark's Basilica in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
31.22% of people start their Saint Mark's Basilica visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Saint Mark's Basilica
54.25% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Mark's Basilica