Saint Mark's BasilicaCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: San Marco, 328, Venezia, Italy, Venice
- Timings: 02:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0412708311
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Family And Kids, Architecture
The name ‘Church of Gold’ is well deserved. This magnificent Byzantine building is the most opulent, elaborate and lavishly designed/decorated/gifted building in all of Venice. And until the early 18th century, it used to be the Doge’s private little chapel. The only one who had a better building to pray in in the world was the Pope. You are only allowed 10 minutes inside, so make the most of it. The major stands out features (almost each of which have their own fascinating history) are:
- 8000 sq metres of gilded interior mosaics
- Five arched portals in the lower register
- Large bronze doors
- Byzantine, Romanesque and Gothic Art
- Horses of Saint Mark
- The Winged Lion (Venice’s symbol) above the central window
- The statue of the Four Tetrarchs from Constantinople
- Greek cross design
- Geometrically designed marble floors
- The gem studded the Golden Pall
- The Treasury
St. Marks Museum: Housed inside the basilica, it has it’s own fees and is definitely worth checking out. It’s established between the Basilica’s vestibule and the Doge’s old banquet hall. The exhibits here cover the Quadriga, Mosaics, Textiles and Antiques. They are most informative.
- You cannot bring any bags inside with you; avail the locker facilities.
- Photos and filming are forbidden.
- Loud explanations are not allowed, the use of earphones is permitted.
- Make sure you’re conservatively dressed.
- Disabled visitors should call +39-0412708311 for arrangements.
- The Museum hours are 15 minutes shorter than the Basilica’s. It is open throughout the day on sundays and public holidays.
- Vaporetti: From Piazzale Rome- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Santa Lucia Railway Station- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 2 Giardinetti stop; Line 5.1 or Line 4.1, San Zaccaria stop.
- From Lido di Venezia- Line 1, Vallaresso or San Zaccaria stop; Line 5.2, San Zaccaria stop.
- Caffe Florian
- Caffe Quadri
- Ristorante Quadri
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Venice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Venice and book an accommodation of your choice.
84.82% of people who visit Venice include Saint Mark's Basilica in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
31.22% of people start their Saint Mark's Basilica visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Saint Mark's Basilica
54.25% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Mark's Basilica
This church is amazing. In my opinion more impressive than the St. Peter's basilica in Vatican City. The gold mosaic tiles that line the arches and the ornate mosaic marble designs on the floor are just some of the amazing features about this place. There are either 6 or 8 domes within the basilica with huge vaulted ceilings. It's hard to put into words how grand this place is. A must visit when in Venice.
Simply stunning architecture and internal decoration. Free entry to the Basilica itself and a small fee of €5 to visit the museum upstairs which includes access to the balcony overlooking St Marks Sq. The only small down side was the copious amount of scaffolding and fencing on and around the venue itself but i appreciate the upkeep and maintenance of the building is critical for future generations to be able to visit such an iconic site. Seriously worth a visit when in Venice.
Located at Piazza San Marco and next to the Doges palace. St Marks basillica is a beautiful building on the outside but wait till you go in! Have a look up and see the gold ceiling! Amazing. One of the must see places when in Venice. Beware though that the square gets flooded at times and it may be difficult to get to. There are makeshift walkways which help. The line to get in can be quite long but the wait is worth while.
Very beautiful place. Birds all overwhelm place but where aren’t their birds? We waited in line to go into the cathedral for about a half hour to find out that we couldn’t go in because they were holding mass. That would have been nice to know before waiting in line, but what you going to? Of what we could see it was very beautiful.
An absolutely stunning building! Well worth visiting and walking through the inside. There is also a museum upstairs and great views from the balcony that looks over the square. I apologise for the photos, I was too busy taking snaps and not noticing the 'no photos' sign, until my partner gave me a clip under the ear and set me straight.